Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2013 09:00

I can't set up my logical drives in my PE 2650. . .

i have 3 36 gig hdds in my hot-swap bays in my dual dual-core Xeon 3.6Ghz Poweredge 2650.

it has 6 Gigs of ram, and scsi ports 0 to 2 (i believe) designated for hard drives. it is missing a raid key.

i have been able to boot it from a cd. . .

i need to set it up as my windows 8 deployment test server.

i have considered running it off a flashdrive, but thought i may be able to get some advice here before i take such rash actions.

what should i check (hardware/software) out to diagnose this? this is my first time working with a server.

3 Posts

March 21st, 2013 10:00

I cannot create logical drives for use by an OS. my goal is to run WDS from this to practice using the new remote installation tools for windows 8 enterprise..

way back, when i was trying to install Ubuntu server ed. , it failed to detect any logical drives to install to, or to detect any hard drives attached to the sata device housing my hard drives.

i've gone through every configuration menu in the bios and even used the dell pre-installation disk, but all to no avail.

sorry if i'm not being clear enough.

3 Posts

My RAID key is physically missing, although i do not want to use RAID. i just want to be able to use my hard drives instead of an external drive to run my OS

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

So, what exactly is the "problem"?  That is is missing a RAID key?

What do you mean by "windows 8 deployment test server"?  Are you hoping to install Windows 8 on this? or are you hoping to install like a server OS on it to run WDS from, or how do you intend to "deploy" Windows 8?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"I can't set up my logical drives in my PE 2650"

This was not in the body of your post, but is this the actual problem?  If so, then we need to know ... do you want to set up a "logical drive" on the RAID controller?  If so, are you physically missing the RAID key, or does the system report that it is missing although it is installed?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Ok, then configuring "logical drives" (at the hardware level) is neither necessary nor possible.

What OS are you planning to run?

The 2650 is 32-bit only, so you are limited to 2000, 2003, and 2008 32-bit OS's (2008R2 and 2012, being 64-bit, are out of the question).

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Ok ... tell me about the RAID key that you mentioned is "missing".  Is it physically missing, or is it physically installed but the system is telling you it is missing?

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

I plan to run either 2000 or 2003. after I figure out all this windows stuff, i'm going to switch to Ubuntu server and run Linux workstations (hopefully). if I can't figure this out, im just going to say screw it and run it from a flash drive.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

"I plan to run either 2000 or 2003. after I figure out all this windows stuff"

If you are somewhat new to "Windows", and you are talking about figuring out 2000 and 2003, I'm not sure it is worth the effort with as obsolete and outdated as they are.  Also, I'm not sure how you plan to turn it into a "Windows 8 deployment server" ...  short of simply hosting a file share from which to deploy the install files after booting the system to something like a WinPE disk.  I don't think 2000/2003 RDS/WDS will support Windows 8 deployment.

I'd love to help, but, frankly, I'm a little confused by this whole endeavor :)

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 19:00

yah. I kno. I gave up on the whole windows 8 thing so i'm just going to try to get an OS onto it and have it function. knowing that there is no 32 bit version of the 2012 server ed. im a little disheartened with Microsoft, so whatever. I just need to get the thing to use my scsi adaptor and actually use my hard drives.

No Events found!