Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2009 09:00

Increase C: (system) partition of a PERC 4/DC virtual disk?

Hi all,

Here's my scenario, I've got a 200gb virtual disk on my PERC 4/DC RAID controller (on a Poweredge 1800). The PERC has a single array of 4 75 gig disks I believe that all form the virtual disk. The virtual disk has 2 partitions, the C: (system) and D: (data). The D: drive is the last/right-most partition in Disk Management (Win 2k3). I want to expand the capacity of the virtual disk by replacing the 4 75gigs with something bigger, this should allow me to increase the size of my virtual disk...right? Problem is, is it possible to expand my C: partition using something like Acronis Disk Director? I've heard it is but just wanted to check here... 

Would the correct procedure be:

1. Reconfigure virtual disk by swapping, one by one, each of the 4 75 gigs with bigger ones

2. Increase size of virtual disk

3. Use Disk Director to expand the C: drive

?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

9.3K Posts

September 8th, 2009 11:00

Swapping the 4 drives (one at a time) will not allow you to do this as the virtual disk can only be resized (grown) by adding more drives to the raid set.

So with the 4-disk limit, you'll have to

- back up your data

- update all drivers and firmware (most compatible with newer drives)

- run another backup (image type backup is easiest)

- shut down

- pull the 4 existing drives and mark where they came from (slot/cable)

- put in the 4 new drives

- go into the PERC bios and create a new raid set

- boot to the recovery media for your image-type backup application

- restore the C-partition and resize it to a desired size (leave enough space for the D-partition)

- restore the D-partition and resize it to a desired size

If the restore fails (for whatever reason), you can shut down, put the original 4 drives back in, power up and be back where you started (within 10 minutes probably).

6 Posts

September 8th, 2009 13:00

there's a 4 disk limit on the PERC 4/DC?

edit: looks like I have a 5th drive acting as a global hot spare on the backplane, can re-assign this disk from hotspare to an actual RAID disk and grow the virtual disk?

This would make it a 5 disk array... does the PERC have a 4 disk array limit?

edit 2: I've been playing around in Open Manage and it looks like it is possible to add this 5th drive to the RAID5 array if I goto virtual disk and reconfigure. I didn't do it yet but just wanted to come here and check, is it possible? If so, I'll probably get a 6th disk to fill up the backplane and add it too.

6 Posts

September 9th, 2009 11:00

so I could add the 5th and 6th disk to the RAID 5 array? 

Just not sure afterwards if I can extend my C: partition, might have to use something like Acronis?

9.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 11:00

No. There's no 4-disk limit (unless you're server has no more drive slots available). I meant by the 4-drive limit; if you don't want to add drives to the existing raid set (same size drives), but upgrade all existing drives to larger ones.

9.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 15:00

After you add the extra drives to the raid set (make sure you stay below 2TB, but I don't think you could exceed it with 6 SCSI drives anyway) you can extend the last partition on the disk 'for free' using diskpart, but to extend the C-drive if there's a partition behind it (e.g. D-drive), you'll indeed need something like Acronis Disk Director to move the D-drive up so you can resize the C-drive.

6 Posts

September 10th, 2009 13:00

Dev Mgr, when I insert the new drives into the system, can I just hot-insert them while the system is on? Will Dell Open Manage see them after I do that?

9.3K Posts

September 11th, 2009 09:00

Assuming your system has the hotswap backplane (for the SCSI drives), you can indeed hotplug the drives. If you have a cabled setup (cable going from drive to drive (and at the end a terminator on the cable), you'll have to power down the server to add the drives.

6 Posts

September 16th, 2009 15:00

Hi DevMgr,

After some pondering I've come to realize that what you suggested in your 2nd post might be the safer route since there's no re-sizing of partitions. I was looking it over and I'm confused with one of the steps where I backup everything before I pull the 4 existing drives and put the new ones in. How do I backup my C:\ partition? It's my current boot/system/OS partition and I'm confused as to how I would go about backing it up and restoring it on the new raid set. You say 'boot to the recovery media..', what kind of tool are we talking about here? And how do I boot to it if I've got a fresh raid array? 

Thanks for all your help so far!

9.3K Posts

September 17th, 2009 09:00

Look into software like Symantec Ghost (Symantec bought Norton a couple of years ago, so you may know this product as Norton Ghost) or Acronis True Image.

You install the software and run a backup of your C-drive and put it on a share or maybe a USB drive or so. Once you have the new raid in place, boot to the media that your backup software offers (True Image allows you to build bootable media after you install this software, but not sure about Ghost). Boot to this, point it to the share or USB drive (the ability to access a share may depend on the version you purchase), and restore it on the new raid set.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2009 10:00

when I'm doing the c: restore, will ghost/true image handle the allocation of the c: partition? or do I have to allocate/partition the space before I do the restore?

9.3K Posts

September 17th, 2009 12:00

True image backs up the partition, so when you restore the partition, you get the choice which partition size you want to use; smaller (in case you initially made it too big and have a lot of blank space), same size, or larger.

No Events found!