Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2011 06:00

JBOD configuration, 12 x RAID-0 "arrays" for Exchange 2010 DAG member

Hello, I am building out an Exchange 2010 mailbox server on an r510 using a PERC H700 with 12 x 2 TB 7200 rpm drives and 2 smaller, faster fixed disks for the OS. I have the "OS" disks in a RAID-1 configuration. I would like to leverage Exchange 2010's DAG option and run the 2 TB disks in a JBOD configuration. TO do so, I believe I have to set the disks up as individual RAID-0 arrays. 

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice for the settings for these arrays. In the virtual disk setup, the following options are the defaults. Since these arrays consist of one disk each, do I need to bother with changing any of these settings? Will adjusting anything improve performance or reliability?

Stripe Element Size: 64 KB

Read Policy: Adaptive Read Ahead

Write Policy: Write Back

Disk Cache Policy: Enabled

thanks in advance for any recommendations!

4 Posts

October 25th, 2011 06:00

I am going to answer my own question I think.

I will keep the read/write policies based on further reading of their description

I will keep the stripe element size 64K based on this posting and the technet article referenced within:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../df4ca3e0-d126-48f0-b361-75088f9fd9c2

It seems that if the config is JBOD, 64KB for both the stripe and block size is what is recommended.

I am going to keep the Disk Cache Policy enabled as well.

July 22nd, 2014 09:00

Thanks Shattuck for the post.  I'm setting up our Exchange 2013 JBOD DAG and will use these settings as well which makes sense.

For those who have requirements for numerous virtual disks, this OpenManage CLI command may came in handy:

omconfig storage controller action=createvdisk controller=1 raid=r0 size=max pdisk=0:0:0 stripesize=64kb diskcachepolicy=enabled readpolicy=ara writepolicy=wb name=DB01-DB04

Cheers

William

July 24th, 2014 14:00

The Author of the "Exchange 2013 Server Role Requirements Calculator itself" has confirmed that 

"The recommended RAID stripe size (the unit of data distribution within a RAID set) should be configured to 256KB or greater."

stands for JBOD and recommend that I use 256KB even though the hardware is capable of 1MB.

Hope this helps with the same question on their build.

No Events found!