Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2016 06:00

M610/620 PERC H310 Mini RAID 1 full disk upgrade

I have 8 servers in my M1000e Chassis.  They all have two 146GB drives set in Raid-1.  I just came into a boat load of gently used 600GB drives out of PE R630 servers that are being re-purposed in another lab.

I would like to replace all the drives with the larger ones, with minimal downtime and Zero data loss.

Tips? Tricks? Advice?  All would be hugely appreciated before I mess up and make 400+ users very upset with me...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2016 11:00

Hello.

It is possible to perform this operation with minimal downtime. Ensure that you have valid backup of your data just to be safe. You can do this by removing each old hard disk and replacing with 600GB disk one at a time. Allow the new disk to completely rebuild before replacing the second one. You may monitor the rebuild progress in OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) if installed. Clear the foreign configuration if it shows on the disks, if the disk does not rebuild and goes to READY state; assign it as a Global Hotspare.

You will notice that the total capacity of the Virtual Disk (VD) will not be 600GB as there will be unused space on the disks. You will use the Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) property of your controller to claim this unused space. In OMSA, Go to Storage ->PERC H310 ->Virtual Disk -> Available Tasks -> Reconfigure -> Expand Capacity and Continue. Under RAID Level, select RAID 1 and enter 100 to reclaim all unused space on the disks and continue. See diagrammatic illustrations below:

Let me know whether you need any further assistance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

Fantastic! Any time.

6 Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

Most Excellent!!  Thank you very much.  I was reading up on the H310 Users Guide yesterday and it looks like I was on the right path.  going to get to work on it right now.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2016 05:00

New Issue.  This worked wonderfully for my M620's, but not my M610.  There is no "expand capacity" button there, only an exit wizard and continue button.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2016 06:00

Ugh, Brain Fart from the beginning.  the M610's have PERC 6/i Integrated (Embedded) NOT the H310.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2016 07:00

The PERC 6/i does not support the operation that you just performed with the H310 controller. The Expand Capacity will only be available when you add hard disks to the existing VD after selecting Reconfigure. You have two supported options here. You may choose to slice the array (VD) by creating another VD with the available space. The second option requires you to have valid backup of your data. Delete the existing VD and create another with 600 GB hard disks. Re-install OS and restore data from backup.

Let me know how this works for you.

1 Message

March 10th, 2021 02:00

Great work. Thank you!

No Events found!