Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2011 17:00

PE 6950 and WD RE4

I got 6950 from ebay with some random 1TB SATA drives. I replaced those with WD RE4, and everything seemed right, until now. So far, server froze to death twice, disabling all vm's on it.

The server uses PERC 5/i controller Did I make a mistake by using SATA drives? Does this controller supposed to work with SAS only?

Besides warnings in the system event viewer about disks being not certified I get:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR13 during a paging operation.

The default transaction resource manager on volume \\?\Volume{1941a2c7-bc6d-11e0-b79e-001aa01c0c4a} encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

Can someone lend me a helping hand with this

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 29th, 2011 18:00

Both SAS and SATA will work - and are supported - on this server, but the "certified" message may be your problem.  Each controller (not just Dell) is tuned to match a set of specifications unique to the OEM such that the OEM can guarantee the reliability and performance of the system, including the storage subsystem.  When OEM's do this, they "certify" drives to work with that controller.  These drives are tuned to the specifications of the controller and allow it to be able to respond and work seamlessly with the commands of the controller.  Using non-certified drives can cause many issues, including what you describe.  If you want to use non-certified drives, then I would recommend updating your system firmware (BIOS, ESM, RAID, AND hard drive firmware) and drivers.  Then, at least everything is running as optimally and efficiently as they are capable of ... individually.

That said, I would test the drives to make sure you don't have any problems with them.  I would also run a Consistency Check on each array you have configured.

No Events found!