Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2014 09:00

PE R810: Upgrading RAID controller from PERC H200 to PERC H700

Our R810 (W2008 R2) has an H200 controller with four SAS disks configured into two RAID 1 volumes. We have seen some poor performances due to I/O and want to upgrade to an H700 to make use of the battery-backed cache. However, we can't work out how to install the driver for the new controller because the system drive is one of the two volumes. The controller needs to be fitted to install the driver but it won't boot into Windows without the driver installed. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing but it's new territory for me, having been used to a completely different hardware and OS.

Thanks.

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2014 13:00

Nigel_Pain,

What you will need to do is boot the server with the H200 in and still cabled. As well as the H700 in another PCI slot. LOad the drivers for the H700 under the OS. Then power down the server and change the cables to the H700 and remove the H200. Then try to boot. If you get the 07xb BSOD then the OS registry is still seeing the path to the H200 and you have to reinstall OS  and restore data under H700.

Another option you have is if your backup software supports bare metal installs. It can swap the driver in the OS unlike we can, and get around the 07xb.

Let me know how it goes.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2014 04:00

Thanks.

Put the H700 in another slot alongside the H200 and Windows installed the driver OK. Then swapped the cables and removing the H200. On rebooting, Windows complained about not shutting down successfully and gave the options to repair Windows or boot normally. Chose the second (didn't feel confident to choose the repair option) upon which Windows blue screened. So I think we'll have to follow the bare metal install option when I can get some downtime.

No Events found!