Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2010 10:00

PERC 4 card (J4717) in a PE2500?

Hey All,

I'm trying to piece together a file server for a low budget project. I have a PowerEdge 2500 and a PERC 4 (J4717) card for an external array. I installed the card and booted up, but got a loud beeping almost immediately. Is the J4717 card not compatible with a PE2500? Or are there some specific jumper settings I need? Finding a manual for this thing is proving difficult.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 11:00

The beeping is a steady one beep per second coming from the card itself.

I should have been more specific. I need the manual for the PERC card, not the server. The card has a bunch of jumpers. Was just wondering if they need to be in a certain position for this server. I'll update the BIOS and see what happens.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I don't think so, but here is the PERC 4 manual ...

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Is the beeping starting as soon as the server powers on, or after a few seconds - once POST gets to loading the controller?  Can you get into CTRL-M?  Sounds like the RAID alarm may be going off.  In CTRL-M, go to Objects>Adapter>Alarm Control and turn it off.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Manual for PE 2500 ...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?c=us&cs=08&l=en&s=bsdr&~ck=anavml

What kind of beeping is coming from the system ... is there a repeatable pattern?

The PERC 4/DC is supported on this system, although, it may require a BIOS update, as the PERC 4 came out much later than the 2500.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 12:00

Ha! You were right. I let it get to the controller BIOS and hit Ctrl-M and then cleared the existing config and the beeping stopped. Looks like it's going to work fine.

Very cool.

Thanks you very much. I greatly appreciate your help on this.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 12:00

Right, after a few seconds. And from the warning scheme in the manual, it seems like it might be as you say, a RAID alert. This card was donated to us, so if it was previously set up for a RAID array and now nothing is attached, it may still be looking for the array and beeping a warning.

The server is loading Windows updates right now, but when it finishes I'll reinstall the card and see if I can get into the BIOS.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

No Events found!