Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

June 13th, 2007 04:00

PERC 5i

i have a scenario that what if there is a RAID 5 with parity using 7 SAS SCSI, something goes wrong with the SAS SCSI controller that the drives are now being shown as forigen and there is no RAID present also no VD..

Question:

if i replace the SAS SCSI Controller then recreate the RAID 5 with parity and VD same everything as it was before, will i be able to rebuild everything. i mean no data lost from the drives. cuz as fas as i know parity info in also saved on the drives through which i can rebuild it.

hope i will get a quick reply for tech guys

Message Edited by lomaree on 06-13-2007 12:29 AM

884 Posts

June 13th, 2007 21:00

If you are swapping out the controllers one of two things are going to happen.

If on the replacement controller there is no config present, it should add the config from the drives.

If there is a config on the replacement controller, then it will mark all the drives as foreign and you will have to import the foreign drives. When doing this it is best to be at the latest firmware for the controller as it makes it easier; there is another menu that appears when a foreign config is present.

You most likely do not want to recreate the array on those drive. That is a last resort option. And of course if you do go through retag, then make sure that you do not int the drives and that will erase all data.

6 Posts

June 16th, 2007 07:00

thanks for the reply,

actually the reason for asking this question was too have a little clarification on the issue as it's current what i am also facing.

recently, we purchased this PE2900 , PERC 5i with 7 SAS SCSI Drives. Everything was okay for almost about 4 months, then all of a sudden one morning it was reported that the server is not responding all by itself, when checked it was found to be the case of not responding, even after restarting the server it was not booting into windows, when checked the PERC RAID configuration; we found that two SAS are showing forgien, i tried to import that also but with in vain, gave errors.

upon restarting one more time and checking the PERC 5i configuration; too our surprise now all drives started showing forigen and even the Virtual Drive is disappered.

note: the server room where it was placed had a problem with its cooling system and the entire room temperature was pretty high and it also happened the same day with when this server was reported not responding. could it have been the case of causing the issue that the controller got damage or something like it.

please advice what steps we can take, should we replace the controller and what steps should we take. ur advice is highly apperciated

884 Posts

June 16th, 2007 16:00

I would update the firmware of the controller. Once you do, there will be a foreign config menu in the controller's BIOS. You can download the firmware here. 

You will need to make a set of floppy disks that you will boot to. If you do not have a floppy drive, you may need to call tech support cause I think they will have a ISO file that you can use to boot to a CD.

6 Posts

June 16th, 2007 21:00

thanks for the reply,

tell you what i had updated the controller firmware about 3 weeks ago before the havoc occured. do you think changing the controller would be helpful, also we recevied some steps in order to get back online with as following, but we tried of the same model but different server and it didn't worked..

PERC 5 I Data recovery

Please be aware this is not a guarantee of data recovery and if the data is truly vital you may wish to contact a data recovery service.

5. Press during POST to enter the BMC.

6. Scroll down to System Event Log Menu and press .

7. Select View System Event Log and press

8. Determine the order in which each disk went offline. Use the right and left arrow keys to scroll through the SEL log.

NOTE:
It is imperative to force the first disk to fail offline immediately after the retag is complete in order to keep from propagating data corruption.    
In the following images, disk 2 was the first disk to go offline.

9. Reboot the system and press to enter the PERC 5 BIOS.

10. Scroll down to the failed virtual disk and press to verify the configuration of the virtual disk and which members are missing.

NOTE:
The text of the failed virtual disk will be red.       
        NOTE:
Make a note of the RAID type, members of the array, size of the array, and element size. Element size is only used for RAID 5 and RAID 50 on the PERC 5. These setting will be required to recreate the identical virtual disk during the retag.       

11. Select the failed virtual disk and press . Scroll down to Delete VD and press .

12. Press with OK selected to confirm the delete.
13. Scroll up to the controller and press . Scroll down to Foreign Config, press the right arrow and press on Clear.

14. Press with OK selected to confirm the clear.

15. Scroll up to the controller and press , and then select Create New VD.

16. Select the appropriate RAID level and disk configuration, and press with OK selected.
        NOTE:
The disk configuration must be identical to the failed virtual disk that was deleted in step 11. Also make sure you are selecting the physical disk in the same order as they were in step 11. Notice the # column by each physical disk.      

17. Press to acknowledge that it is recommended to initialize all newly created logical disks.
        CAUTION:
Initializing a disk erases all data. The retag procedure is designed as a effort to recover data. Re-tagged disks should not be initialized.   

18. Scroll down to Physical Disks, press the right arrow key, then scroll down to the disk that went off line first and press .

19. Scroll down to Force Offline and press .

20. Press with OK selected to confirm the force offline.

21. Pull the disk out that was just forced offline and then reinsert the disk to start a rebuild.
        NOTE:
If this does not start the rebuild, try creating the drive as a Hotspare.      

22. Verify the rebuild has started and completes.

23. Verify the logical drive is now healthy.

24. Boot to the OS and verify the data is present on the re-tagged disk.

No Events found!