Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

OT

April 4th, 2016 00:00

PERC H310 for RAID1 array?

My Server build continues, noting that it will do DC duties, as well as file/print serving and media server duties into the future:

I initially replaced the H310 controller, in favour of an H710P, to control the 8-disk array I'll build (with 8 x 4Tb HGST enterprise disks most likely in a RAID10 array.

But I'd like to run the OS and apps from two 500Gb drives (installed in the two 5.25" extra bays) in a mirror, so I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I'll need to source another controller to do this. If that is the case (and yes, I'm finally coming to the question), will the H310 I pulled out be "good enough" to run a pair of disks in a mirror (so, in effect, I'd have two controllers in the box - an H710P and an H310). I ask as I've read horror stories about the H310s in some RAID configurations, which is why I purchased the H710P in the first place. I'm hoping that in a simple RAID1 config. that an H310 might suffice...?

It's probably completely un-supported, but thought I'd ask before I sell the H310 on...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 4th, 2016 12:00

Hello.

The H710P controller offers better performance than the H310 controller. You do not need to have 2 controllers. H710P controller, including H310 can support multiple Virtual Disks (VDs). You can create a RAID 1 mirror for your OS and application and another RAID 10 VD for your data. This is perfectly supported.

April 5th, 2016 01:00

Right. I must have been a bit confused with the two SAS connectors connecting the H710P to the backplane. I'm guessing then that I can use one connector from H710P to the backplane (to run an 8-disk RAID 10 array), and another from the 2nd port on the controller to the two separate disks I want to run as a mirror (RAID1)? (Note: these disks are not in the 8-bay enclosure/connected to the backplane; they are mounted in two of the 5.25" bays).

If that's the case, can you recommend the part number for the SAS to SATA connector I need to run that connection to those two drives?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 09:00

What model of Dell server are you using? What back-plane configuration do you have?

April 5th, 2016 15:00

Server is a T320, and has the 8 hot-swap 3.5" back-plane installed

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2016 16:00

I'm guessing then that I can use one connector from H710P to the backplane (to run an 8-disk RAID 10 array), and another from the 2nd port on the controller to the two separate disks I want to run as a mirror (RAID1)? (Note: these disks are not in the 8-bay enclosure/connected to the backplane; they are mounted in two of the 5.25" bays).

No, this cabling is not supported. The x8 3.5" back-plane uses a SAS cable to connect to the back-plane port on the motherboard; there is no connection via the controller card. You can set up your VDs within the x8 back-plane.

April 5th, 2016 17:00

I'm sorry, but your answer directly contradicts the one you supplied to my original question.

I asked:

"I  initially replaced the H310 controller, in favour of an H710P, to control the 8-disk array I'll build (with 8 x 4Tb HGST enterprise disks most likely in a RAID10 array.

But I'd like to run the OS and apps from two 500Gb drives (installed in the two 5.25" extra bays) in a mirror, so I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I'll need to source another controller to do this..."

I thought I'd made clear that I wanted to do up an 8 x 4Tb disk array in the 8 hot-swap bays, to hold data, and 2 x 500Gb disks - NOT PART OF THE ARRAY - to host the OS and apps. Now it "appears" as though you're saying that with my hardware this is not supported (hence your suggestion to use the 8 disks in the array as two separate arrays - 1 RAID1 and 1 RAID 10.

Just to be clear: The Dell T320 will NOT support the two extra disks I wish to use for the OS and applications? I must use only the 8 x 4Tb disks "split" into 1 x RAID 1 and 1 x RAID 10 array?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2016 08:00

But I'd like to run the OS and apps from two 500Gb drives (installed in the two 5.25" extra bays) in a mirror, so I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I'll need to source another controller to do this..."

The use of 2 controllers is not supported on this server

I thought I'd made clear that I wanted to do up an 8 x 4Tb disk array in the 8 hot-swap bays, to hold data, and 2 x 500Gb disks - NOT PART OF THE ARRAY - to host the OS and apps. Now it "appears" as though you're saying that with my hardware this is not supported (hence your suggestion to use the 8 disks in the array as two separate arrays - 1 RAID1 and 1 RAID 10.

You can not have the 2x 500 GB disks outside of the x8 disk back-plane, it is not supported. Yes, you can use only the 6 x 4Tb disks for your data in RAID 10 array and 2x 500 GB for OS and application on RAID 1 array within the same back-plane supported on a single H710P controller.

I hope this answers your questions. 

No Events found!