Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2020 07:00

PERC H710p Foreign configuration on 1-disk RAID 0 VD

I'm getting the following error on boot: Foreign configuration(s) found on adapter. Press any key to continue, or ’C’ to load the configuration utility or ’F’ to import foreign configuration(s) and continue.

The problematic VD is just a single disk configured as a 1-disk RAID 0. I tried importing the foreign configuration but the server did not boot to OS (this is the OS disk, boot device not found) and when I rebooted I still had the same message so it looks like the import didn't work. So I tried to do the import again but this time by going into the configuration utility thinking it would show me an error message if it fails but again no error and it did not boot to the OS.

I have taken out the disk to do a backup and to check it, I have found a bad sector which I have corrected with chkdsk. I would rather recover from this without losing the data on the drive, what should be my next step?

3 Posts

January 16th, 2020 14:00

The RAID controller box was checked.

Since I didn't get a reply yesterday I went ahead with the retag solution. I created the virtual disks using what I believe was the right parameters but the data ended up being wiped. By the way I did it with iDRAC's web interface and it did not warn me when creating the virtual disk that data would be wiped. I tried again this time in the BIOS and it did warn me data would be wiped.

I just restored the backup I had taken beforehand on the new virtual disk so my problem is resolved.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 14th, 2020 12:00

A chkdsk is only going to interact with the data on the partition level, not at the virtual disk level. If the volume won't import, the best way to try to discover why is going to be through the use of a RAID log. Considering the server isn't booting, the easiest way to obtain this log would be through the iDRAC and exporting a SupportAssist collection with the Raid Log. Once you have the .zip file, you can pull the RAID log out. It will be prefaced with LSI, then the date, .txt.

You could also try a retag of the array, but I wouldn't jump to that. Retagging would involve deleting the RAID volume, creating an identical one, but deliberately not initializing it. This would recreate the RAID metadata, but avoid the initialization that would wipe the disk.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2020 15:00

I generated the logs as you instructed but I can't find the raid log. In the .zip I have a folder named "tsr" and inside that I have "mut", "sysinfo" and "ttylog", there are no .txt file just .xml files. Anyway I'm not sure this is relevant because I put the disk back in and booted and didn't get the foreign configuration error but now my Virtual disk is gone and my physical disk is in the Ready state.

EDIT: I think it's supposed to be in the ttylog folder, but that folder is empty.

Should I proceed with the retag?

If yes, I have a couple of questions:

- For the retag I just need to create a virtual disk with the same parameters without initializing it, correct?

- Is there a way to find the info like stripe size to make sure I recreate it with the same settings?

EDIT: By the way I found the cause of the initial foreign configuration error, I suspected a power outage and we do have UPS but I suspected the server did not shutdown in time. This was not the case, the server shutdown by itself because of a disk error.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 16th, 2020 10:00

Do you know if the collect RAID box was checked? It isn't by default and needs to be. The file should have been in the ttylog folder you mentioned.

As for the retag, this is a potentially destructive process, so I would only start once it seems to be the only option and you know that you either won't need a data recovery service, or their job is done.

There isn't an option to set the virtual disk parameters to match the previous volume automatically, but most every volume I've worked on have been created using the default values. Unless you had cause to change them before, your VD is probably also using the default values.

No Events found!