Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2016 01:00

PowerEdge 1900 & WS2012r2

Gents

I inherited PowerEdge 1900 and decided to migrate my old WHS2011 to it.

I have 10 SATA drives to transfer (various sizes 1TB - 4TB). I have started by moving 3x 2TB drives and connecting them to SATA B,C & D ports. SATA A is occupied by SSD.

Now everything went sooth (hardware wise) all drives are recognised, 3x 2TB drives are added to WS2012r2 Essentials Poll.

I have started migrating data to release other drives which I am hoping to connect to Perc 5 and other PCIe SATA cards, however what I have noticed is that the write speeds (when moving data over GBit NIC) are 33.5MB/s with occasional peaks of 67.4 MB/s.

I think this is due that one of the SATA Ports (B,C or D) is ATA and limited to 33MB/s. Unfortunately I am struggling to find info on this.

Anyone knows the speeds of embedded SATA ports? or how can I improve transfer speeds?

As mentioned, I would have quite a few drives to move so every port counts.

Thank You

3 Posts

May 20th, 2016 04:00

Daniel

You are right. the bottleneck is not caused by SATA.

I failed to mention that the pool I have created on WS2012r2E uses parity as a redundancy measure. Apparently, the parity is to blame for low write speeds - known issue applicable only to writes. Reads are fine.

Thanks for responding

• 

6.2K Posts

May 19th, 2016 17:00

Hello

I think this is due that one of the SATA Ports (B,C or D) is ATA and limited to 33MB/s. Unfortunately I am struggling to find info on this.

The SATA ports are not your bottle neck. Your max theoretical transfer rate on a gigabit connection is 113MB/s. If you are not using high quality full copper wiring then your connection speed will drop considerably. 7200RPM and lower SATA drives will also be a bottleneck in sustained writes. Also, the data itself will cause fluctuations in write speeds.

There are several factors involved, but the SATA ports should negotiate to at least 1.5Gb/s. They are not your bottleneck.

Thanks

No Events found!