Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2015 07:00

PowerEdge 2950. Need advice to add 1TB SATA drive.

This is my first post.

I have a PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i.  The firmware version is 5.2.2-0072.   The PERC configuration shows controller 0.   Controller 0 has 2 physical SAS drives.  The 2 physical drives are used to create one virtual drive.  The virtual drive is used as the C: drive.  The drives work great.

I want to add a 1 TB SATA drive which will act as a stand alone D: drive.  I had planned to add the SATA drive under controller 1, but when I run the PERC configuration utility, I do not see controller 1.

What do I need to do to add a 1 TB SATA drive?

9 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 09:00

Your solution worked.   The 1 TB drive is identified as drive E:.   The drive is formatted, and I was able to copy files to the E: drive.   Many thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Looks fine.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 07:00

Well, first, you only have (and need) ONE controller, so why are you looking for controller 1 (a second  controller)?

Second, the PERC does NOT support non-RAID, so you must configure a single disk as RAID 0 for it to be seen/used by the OS. Highlight the controller on the VD MGMT screen, F2, Create/New (be sure to check the Advanced/Initialize boxes). The disk must first show up on the PD MGMT screen as Ready.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2015 08:00

Never Import or Clear unless you know what the ramifications are - you can erase or corrupt your data choosing the wrong one.

You want to CLEAR the foreign configuration in this case, then the drive will show up as Ready.

9 Posts

January 2nd, 2015 08:00

OK, now I understand that the I TB drive can be added to controller 0 as a RAID 0 drive.

The 1 TB physical disk shows up on the PD MGMT screen as "FOREIGN".

On the VD MGMT screen, the option to "CREATE VD" is greyed out.   I did not do an import.   Should I import?

9 Posts

The 1 TB drive is formatted, and appears as drive E.  Many thanks.

9 Posts

I cleared the foreign configuration, and the drive showed up as READY.

Next I went to Create VD.  Here is the configuration that I selected.   I did not press OK.  Wanted to post the configuration before I press OK.  Do you see any obvious errors in my configuration?

No Events found!