Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2010 14:00

PowerEdge 2950 SAS SATA Drive type change

I have (will be receiving soon) a PE2950 that has a SAS backplane (PN610) and a SAS RAID (YF437) card.

I'd like to convert it so it can use SATA hard drives and have RAID capabiltiy.

is the backplane and the RAID controller the only things i need to change?  or is there more to it?

THanks

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2010 22:00

You shouldn't have to replace the backplane or raid controller; SAS hardware is SATA compatible (the other way around doesn't apply though (e.g. a SATA controller won't work with a SAS drive)).

You will however need drive carriers, which Dell won't sell on their own, so you can either re-use the ones from the SAS drives, buy the smallest/cheapest SATA (or SAS) drive that Dell sells, or see if you can find the drive carriers (with the screws) on ebay or so.

1 Message

February 21st, 2015 05:00

HI Friends,

I am able to configure Combination of SAS & Sata with out adding Dell SATA Interposer Board.

I have created RAID 5 with 3 SAS disk & Raid 0 with 1 Sata HDD.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 4th, 2017 14:00

How do convert C: to SATA?

Backup, replace SAS drives with SATA, restore from backup.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 17th, 2012 13:00

As Dev Mgr said, SAS is "backward-compatible" with SATA - a SAS backplane/connector will take a SAS or SATA drive (but a SATA connector will not take a SAS drive), so running a SAS array for your OS and a SATA array for storage is completely supported.

1 Message

July 17th, 2012 13:00

• Hi Beererc, I am looking to do the same on a couple 2950's that I have. Just wondering how its going for you. Also how about mixing sata and sas? I want to do  raid of SAS for the OS and raid of SATA for storage. Going to run esxi on it.

thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 21st, 2015 11:00

Also completely supported.

1 Message

August 25th, 2015 03:00

Hi there, as I am a little confused about the infos for 2950 on SATA in a Perc I6 le me ask this:

I have a SAS backplane. It supports SAS and SATA on the same backplane. Is there any position of the drive bay that I should use when I mix (SAS on 0 an 1, SATA on 3 and 4). I assume that the RAID controller will support RAID 1 for both.

As for 1950: I wrote that the perc I5 supports 2 TB disk size. So same here: I should be able to use SATA drives on a SAS backplane.

Thanks for the reply.         

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 25th, 2015 08:00

There is absolutely NO difference when using SAS and SATA drives ... there are no special slots or positions, sizes, specs, and all RAID levels and functions apply to both. The SAS slots on the backplane will accept SAS or SATA drives - just plug them in. The only differences are in how the controller talks to the drive.

You just can't mix SAS/SATA in a single array - you can't have a RAID 1 made up of a SAS drive and a SATA drive, nor can a SATA drive be a hot-spare for an array of SAS disks. You CAN have an array (of any type) of SAS disks and an array of SATA disks though.

The PERC 5/6 supports VD's larger than 2TB, but 2TB is the largest PHYSICAL disk you can use.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2017 14:00

PE 2950. C :is system, drives 0 & 1 and SAS.  D:. is data, drives 2-5 and SATA.

How do convert C: to SATA?

No Events found!