Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2017 19:00

R710 / H700 / SSD Compatability

We have an R710 server with an H700 RAID controller. We're wanting to replace the current HDD's with SSD's. Are all SSD's now compatible with this setup? If not, is there a compatibility list? I've seen some varying responses saying that different things, just wanted to get a clear answer before I purchase. Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 21st, 2017 22:00

Are all SSD's now compatible with this setup?

No, not all. There will never be a system in which "all" drives are compatible.

Do not use cheap consumer SSD's. If using consumer, use the "pro" series of drives, as they have the best chance of working on the PERC. If you are housing mission critical data/services, then I'd recommend getting Dell-certified drives. They are expensive, but they are guaranteed to work. Save some money by getting the Dell part numbers, then purchasing them from suppliers instead of from Dell directly. If you don't get certified drives, then do your homework, as anything else is not guaranteed to work and can experience a number of issues.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 04:00

Any recommendations on vendors that carry the drives cheaper than Dell? I've reached out to our Account Reps at CDW & SHI this morning to see what they can offer us.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

xbyte.com and serversupply.com ... Amazon does too, but you have to have the part number to shop for; the others make searching for system-specific parts much easier.

No Events found!