Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2016 02:00

So iDrac 6 won't alert of disk failures?

I've been reading online about monitoring whether all the disks are ok on our Raid arrays on our Dell servers. The consensus seems to be that Dell Open Manager needs to be installed to get alerts of disk failures.

We recently had some disk issues on our Dell R420 which has idrac6 enterprise installed. It DID notify us of a "punctured" disk, telling us to replace it, but DID NOT alert us when another disk failed completely and degraded the array. Seems strange.

We just installed some R210 servers and the idrac6 enterprise installed on those doesn't seem to show physical disk status even after firmware update of the idrac.

We're really looking for a simple solution.

• 

8.8K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 09:00

RCX579,

The iDrac itself will inform you on the health of the controller, but not as well on the specific drives and Virtual Disks within it. The easiest solution you can do is to install OpenManage Essentials on the server and then configure email alerts for the hard drives themselves. You can follow this link to the OME manual to assist with the install. 

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 10:00

Thank you. How risky is it to install OpenManage on a production server running EXSi ?

• 

8.8K Posts

August 26th, 2016 05:00

It isn't risky, but to install OMSA you are loading the VIB to the server and then using the web based version of OMSA to view. There is an installation walkthrough found here. Let me know how it goes.

7 Posts

August 29th, 2016 02:00

Thanks. I'm on holiday now so I will do this when I get back.

December 18th, 2018 07:00

How was the holiday?
No Events found!