Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2015 11:00

Support for on-line RAID5-10 migration on H700

Our client has a T610 with an H700 integrated controller running as a VMware 5.5 host server   He currently has 6 drives in a single RAID5 array.  The current RAID5 LUN uses up all available space, although the actual allocated storage is a lot less.

We're changing the function of the server significantly, adding a major database app.  As part of that, I want to add a couple more drives and convert the array to a pair of 4-drive RAID10 arrays.  

I don't want to go into details of allocated space, LUN size, etc., here -- we can handle that.  My question is, if the allocated space fits target array size can I do this migration online?  

Key questions:

- can I reduce the size of the RAID5 LUN at all, or to anywhere approaching actual allocated space?

- can I convert the RAID5 array to RAID10 -- again, assuming allocated space fits?

- would I be better off first adding the additional drives and converting it to an 8-drive RAID10 array, and then splitting it into two 4-drive arrays?

- what specific Dell server management software needs to be installed?   Or can this only be done at BIOS boot time?

Obviously I'm going to do backups first!

-- Ken

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 6th, 2015 11:00

As far as the hardware-managed VD's (arrays/LUN's) go:

You can never "shrink" an array by either reducing the number of disks or the allocated space.

Controllers do not support migrating TO or FROM nested RAID levels (10/50/50) ... for example, you cannot add two disks to a 4-disk RAID 10 either.

If you plan to move to a RAID 10 (which I wholeheartedly support), then you will need to backup the current data and restore to the new array.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2015 10:00

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.   

No Events found!