Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2011 13:00

Unable to create second VD from RAID 5 Array on PERC 5/i

I have 9 identically configured PowerEdge 2950's with PERC 5/i and 6x 1 TB SATA drives. On one of the servers I was able to create a 200GB VD and a ~4.5TB (rest of the space) VD on the same 6-disk RAID 5 Array. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce that on any of the other machine (and I eventually had to reconfigure the orginal machine to match configuration I could make work).

Was I some how just lucky the first time and managed something that is not supported? Or is there a way to make this work?

The problem I run into is that once I create the small VD on the RAID 5 array I no longer have the option to create VD. Any suggestions about how to make this happen? -Dave

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Are the firmware versions of the controller different?  If so, it may be a firmware limitation, requiring an update.  If not, then I'd be a bit stumped as to why you could on one (if indeed identical) but not on another.  Can you reproduce it on the first machine?  As a test, you might consider creating the first VD, installing Windows and OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) and seeing if you can create it from there.  It may give you a more verbose or obvious reason for why it can't.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting it isn't supported - it is - I've just never seen an issue creating multiple VD's in a disk group (outside of old firmware) and am wondering if you "forgot" (sorry) how you did it the first time or if you truly can only do it on one system.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2011 14:00

I tried to reproduce the my sucess on the first system, but was unable to do what I had originally done in the BIOS to get 2 VD off of the same RAID array. So I moved on to using just one VD, loading Windows Server 2008 R2 and trying the open manage software. I was able to create the second VD using the OpenManage Server Administrator software, but I still don't know why it won't work via the BIOS. I checked and I have the latest Firmware for the Card from Dell's website.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 5th, 2011 19:00

I don't have a system available to try this with, but have you checked under the available space section on the VD MGMT tab (at the bottom) to see if it  can be created from within that section (rather than using the Create VD from the controller menu - F2/Enter)?

No Events found!