Highlighted
2 Bronze

Update firmware on physical disks

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have one question about update physical disks on poweredge server.

Can i update firmware on this disks without shutting down virtual machines running of it or i must shutt down all VMs?

I´m afraid about losing data or breaking RAID with this disks.

We are talking about update disks through Vrtx Chassis Management Control or iDrace - Storage - Update - Upload new firmware - choose disks and Update.

Thanks for answer my question.

MZ.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Update firmware on physical disks

Jump to solution

Nuginy,

All drive firmware updates will require a reboot to complete. The update itself won't force a reboot, but the installation of the firmware update won't complete until it is rebooted. 

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Nuginy,

All drive firmware updates will require a reboot to complete. The update itself won't force a reboot, but the installation of the firmware update won't complete until it is rebooted. 

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks,

Dell should add notifications of the need to restart after the update in their original instructions(https://www.dell.com/support/article/cs-cz/sln307738/dell-poweredge-how-to-update-disks-on-a-vrtx?la... there is nothing about restart) and directly to the server, because new version of disk shows immediatly after update and dont show anything about needed restart to complet update.

MZ.

0 Kudos