Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2012 05:00

Upgrade Raid 1 Data Disks on T610 Server

I have a Dell T610 Server with an H700 Perc 6/i, SAS 6/1R controller with 2 - 146 GB HD in Raid1 configuration for my OS (WSBS2008) and 2 - 300 GB HD in Raid1 configuration for Data.  The 300 GB HD's need to be upgraded to new 600 GB drives.  Since there is no OS on the drives I am looking for the easiest way to do so.  Can I just plug the drives into 2 new bays, configure the new Raid 1 array, and copy the data straight from the 300 GB to the 1st 600 GB and let it rebuild to the 2nd 600 HD?  Does this controller allow me to have 3 sets of Raid 1 HD on it (I have 8 HD bays).  If so, can I then rename the original 300's and then continue to use them as additional Data drives?

Or am I going to have to backup the 300 HD, break the Data array, install the new 600 HD, build the new array and copy the data back to the new 600's.  There seems to be some conflicting information out there as to what will actually work.

Thanks.

13 Posts

December 20th, 2012 06:00

Which controller do you actually have installed? The H700, the Perc 6/i or the SAS 6/ir?  This will make a difference in what we can do.

Regards,

7 Posts

December 20th, 2012 06:00

Sorry about the controller misinformation - that is what the original sales receipt said.  I have a Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated Controller.

13 Posts

December 20th, 2012 07:00

This controller will support up to 10 hard drives, but only 2 virtual disks.   You will need to back up your data drives and then install your larger drives, recreate the array and restore your data.  

Here is a link to the user guide; page 16 shows the details what it will support:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/RAID/SAS6iR/en/PDF/en_ug.pdf

Regards,

7 Posts

December 20th, 2012 12:00

If I break the original array of the 300 GB HD can I then use one of those HD in the Server (not in a Raid) and if installed will it still have the original information on it?  If so it would be much faster to then use that HD to copy the data onto the new 600 GB HD's than from an external back up.

990 Posts

December 24th, 2012 12:00

Since it only see's 2 Virtual drives at a time, your plan wouldn't work.  You will need to back up and restore.  You may be able to replace one,  and let it rebuild.  There will be unallocated space on the back of the drive, since it will match the mirrored  drive.  Once you have both drives replaced, then you can expand the space on the drive.

Regards,

No Events found!