Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2010 23:00

dell poweredge 2650 start unit request failed !! what does it mean?

i have just 1 hdd scsi 73gb maxtor atlas IV

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48035496@N03/4614353004/in/photostream/

how can it be fix?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 08:00

Your drive may be dead or the slot on your backplane may be bad.  Try reseating the drive.  If that does not work, then try a different slot.  If that doesn't work, then get a new drive.  You might also try flashing the drive firmware, but that is not very likely to work if the drive is not "starting".

6 Posts

May 17th, 2010 11:00

how do i reset the drive ?? i hear that before but i have no idea.

i took the drive out and i see no jumper.

also i tried to put it in other slots and it has the same problem

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 11:00

Not reset, reseat.  That is removing the drive, waiting about 30 seconds, then putting it back in.  You cannot reset a drive.  If you have removed the drive, then you reseated it.  And if you have tried a different slot, then I'm not sure you have any other options.  Can you try it in another SCSI system?

6 Posts

May 17th, 2010 19:00

i m sorry my bad.

it was later at night when i was doing the reseach and i did nt read well.

i ll try to reseat the hard drive the way you told me but what will it do the the hdd to leave it 30 second out of it is place?

I ll try to look for other hard drive or scsi card.

two more question.

1-is there any way to make the server less noisy?

2- can i plug it in some sata card and use bigger hdd in the same slots i have? (or should i leave the hdd outside of the case?)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 21:00

If you have removed the drive and even tried it in another slot, chances are reseating it "properly" won't change anything.  All that does is ensure that the controller knows there is a drive missing and has begun looking for it again.

Chances are the drive is dead and when the controller tries to spin it up, the drive can't.

What kind of noise are you experiencing?  These servers are somewhat noisy, but there are some things that can make it noisier (and quieter).  If a fan fails, the other fans will spin faster to cool the chassis.  Also, if the cover is off (or not shut all the way), the fans will also speed up.  The fans are controlled by the ESM/BMC, and often updates to the ESM firmware will contain code for making the fans more efficient.  So, updating the ESM firmware (after updating the BIOS) can make it quieter, but I wouldn't really hold my breath.  Also, many old U160 drives can be louder than the newer U320 drives.  Probably not noticeable unless you have a server full of them.

This server won't take SATA drives.  The only SATA option might be to find a PCI-X controller for an external SATA enclosure.  300GB drives are the largest SCSI drives you can put in it.

6 Posts

May 17th, 2010 21:00

thxs again for ur quick answers.

the noise i hear barely was the hdd when the scsi card tried to detect it so it sound bad to me like when the hdd makes the click click noise when they are dying.

but the fan noise it is so load that it is hard to hear the hdd i just hear it once. the click.

regarding to the hdd , do u know where i can buy a sata pci-x ?? what about scsi hdd?

i saw ppl in ebay selling hdd but the are use and who know how long there r gonna live?

i just bought this used server and the hdd was working for 2 days then suddenly i got this error  i guess it die.

also i see cuz all the fans the server vibrate a little may be that is what kills the hdd.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 18th, 2010 09:00

It is normal for drives to make a single clicking noise when they spin up, but if they click beyond that, then there is probably something wrong with it.

Below are examples of a PCI-X eSATA controller and external enclosure.  You cannot put SATA drives inside the 2600 even if you got an internal SATA controller, because this system also provides no way to power a SATA drive.  So, if you use SATA drives with it, it will have to be an external solution.  Do your homework on these and your system before you bought anything, as I just threw in the first things I found by Googling it.

SCSI hard drives are fairly easy to find but can be expensive for the largest ones.  Companies are starting not to make them anymore, so your best bet is to find a good refurbished model - a warranty would be a plus.  You can still find them new, but they will be very expensive.  You can find drives on eBay that have a warranty ... test it as soon as it arrives, so you can return it if it fails.

PCI-X eSATA Controller

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816321010&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Hard+Drive+Controllers+/+RAID+Cards-_-Habey-_-16321010

eSATA Enclosure

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010092+1054207738&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=92&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

No Events found!