Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2017 16:00

embedded sas6i/r on PowerEdge410 disc upgrade

Hi all! Hopefully you can help the volunteer"ed" I.T. guy!

Running CentOS 5.11 on a PowerEdge410 (service tag: ) in smallish retail business. We are using old Titan enterprise "Point of Sale" software which has already been manually migrated from ancient RS6000 AIX machine in 2010. We have no installation media nor available support for this software. (and of course, no one wants to change to or bare the cost of implementing new program) As CentOS 5.11 is well past "End of Life", we really need to update to CentOS 7.3 and if possible re-assemble the POS software on said platform.

That being said, OpenManage indicates that we have a "permanently degraded array" (raid 1) but neither disk is indicating failure. It also says our Driver Version is out of date. (Driver Ver 3.04.20rh1 - Min Req Ver 3.12.29.00) Yet, the system is also operating normally.

We also use BackupEdge for nightly full system backups to a LaCie NAS drive acting as our FTP server.

My questions are:

1. What should my course of action be as far as the degraded array?
  2. If I remove old drives, delete the array, replace the drives, rebuild the array and perform a full recovery from backup, should that work?
  3. ALSO- being a Linux Newbie, I would like to build a duplicate backup/test server, just in case. Can I take one of the existing drives and somehow change the config to work as a stand- alone drive in an OptiPlex 360?

I really need to test the possibility of migrating the Titan POS program to CentOs 7.3 on the duplicate server as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 24th, 2017 17:00

Is it ok to skip versions and install R211003-mptlinux-4.00.38.02-3.tar.gz ?

Yes, I am not aware of any requirements to step revisions.

I'm attempting to use an E2k-UCP-61-(B) Dell raid card (NP007) to emulate the system on a test server using two SATA II drives. Is an SAS SFF-8484 32 pin to SATA 7 pin cable the correct one to use?

I'm not sure which controller that is. The part number is for a tray that is used on more than one controller. There should not be anything proprietary about our cables, standard cables should work with our PERCs.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

August 17th, 2017 17:00

Hello

What should my course of action be as far as the degraded array?

Update the driver. The virtual disk degraded status could be due to the controller being in a degraded status because of the driver. If the virtual disks stays in a degraded state after updating the driver and restarting the system post a controller log and I will review it. Please do not paste full logs into the forum. I prefer that you upload to a text sharing site like pastebin and provide the URL.

I just noticed in your title that it is a SAS6/iR controller. It does not retain a log. If the issue persists after driver update then check for other status issues in OMSA like a predictive failure drive.

Thanks

August 24th, 2017 16:00

Thanks, Daniel. Is it ok to skip versions and install R211003-mptlinux-4.00.38.02-3.tar.gz ?

Again, our R410 server is running CentOS 5.1 and Open Manage reports "Firmware/Driver Information for Controller SAS 6/iR Integrated" are 00.25.47.00.06.22.03.00 and 3.04.20rh1 respectively, with 3.12.29.00 the minimum required driver version.

On a side note, I'm attempting to use an E2k-UCP-61-(B) Dell raid card (NP007) to emulate the system on a test server using two SATA II drives. Is an SAS SFF-8484 32 pin to SATA 7 pin cable the correct one to use?

Thanks a bunch!

No Events found!