Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 4th, 2009 08:00

"Lost" Raid Array 5

We've had problems with our raid array, having to go into the configuration utility to import foreign views. To make a long story short, someone (not me), instead of doing an import, selected clear so now I no longer have a raid array nor can I boot the server. My questions are: 1) Without losing the data, is there a software product that will allow me to access the hard drives to retrieve the data? If so, what would you recommend? 2) Since the server is basically used as a file server, along with a SQL database, is it worth it to re-build the raid? 3) Would it be worth the extra cost to put the SQL database on a separate server? Although the data is no longer needed on a daily basis, we are legally required to keep the data for 7 years, which would take us to 2015. As an added note, whoever set up the system before I was hired, was only using MS-Backup to backup the system, and I don't know how good the backup tapes are.

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

June 4th, 2009 09:00

If you know how the disks were configured then you can re-create the config in the perc bios. You will see a warning message about initialising the disks, ok the message save and exit. Dell tech can walk you through the proceedure.

172 Posts

June 4th, 2009 11:00

tommo666 is correct, you can recreate the RAID 5 from the PERC BIOS utility.
Select the same HDDs on the same order to create the volumes and reboot.  DO NO INITILAIZE !!!, if you initialize all data will be LOST.
If you are not sure what HDDs or the order, you may try several combinations, until you are able to boot the, data will stay intact; only an init will erase your data.

No Events found!