Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2014 00:00

A harddisk failure in a RAID setup with sufficient redundancy crash the whole system?

Usually, when a harddisk fail on the RAID 5 configuration, the system should not be affected at all right? 

My experience is that whenever there is a dying harddisk, the system will crash and I can't even boot up unless I remove the failed drive. Is this due to the RAID controller buggy firmware or the physical drive is consuming too much power that the motherboard cannot handle?

My server is Dell R710 and the RAID controller is MegaRAID SAS version 12.3.0-0032 and I found this: http://virtuallybright.com/2013/01/31/esxi-5-1-megaraid-sas-alert/

• 

8.8K Posts

February 19th, 2014 04:00

Crescendas,

It isn't common for a failed SAS/SATA disk to cause the array to not respond. That kind of interference was more in the days of SCSI. As the link had stated, the best place to start would be getting the server to current on updates. Now the issue on the link was that the ISO they were provided was created based on the updates at the time it was created. They needed to create a new one once new updates were released  

Where are your BIOS, ESM/Drac, and raid controller sitting at on versions?

Do you see anything in the hardware log pertaining to the failure?

Lastly, from the controller BIOS how is that drive appearing under Physical Disks?

Let me know.

39 Posts

February 19th, 2014 17:00

My previous Dell R210 on RAID1 also crashed with a harddisk failed too. Even my QNAP NAS also crashed with a harddisk failure. In both cases, I have to remove the failed drive for the system to function properly again. 

The H700 controller firmware was not listed under it's service tag Dell support page. I found the firmware directly here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=5PRJ8&fileId=2731104137

Unfortunately, when I attempt to update it, it said that the controller is not found! :(

This should be H700 RAID right?

24F4C 1 SERVICE CHARGE..., DRIVER..., H700INT, SAS-RAID

39 Posts

February 20th, 2014 01:00

I got the wrong H700 firmware. I need to get the integrated version and that works.

However, I can't use platform update to auto upgrade all R710 firmware as it states: "The updates you are trying to apply are not Dell-authorized updates"

No Events found!