Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

July 24th, 2018 17:00

Adding GPU to Poweredge T310

Hey everyone, I just got a Dell Poweredge T310 server from a friend and I am trying to put a GPU in it so I can use it to play 4k movies. When I plug the GPU into the motherboard and not into the PSU, it posts but never completely boots into Ubuntu (which is the OS im using). It always just stops at a black screen. And when I connect the GPU to the PSU using a 8 pin EPS to 6 pin PCIe adapter (since the power supply does not have any PCIe) the computer turns on for less than I second and then turns back off. The PSU is 375W which is a little less than the recommended 400W for the GPU. The GPU i'm trying to add is the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960. Can somebody help me? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

• 

8.5K Posts

July 25th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Try the second slot from the top. It may not work as there is not any GPU support on this system. The PCIe slot only provides 25w not 75w like most desktop systems, so it probably is not providing enough power. This thread has some more information https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/Graphics-Poweredge-T310/td-p/3617003

July 25th, 2018 15:00

I agree, I don't think there is enough power to run the GPU. I tried swapping out the power supply but it didn't work because I don't think it was compatible. What power supply would work with the Poweredge T310 server? (Minimum 400W)

July 25th, 2018 19:00

Hey guys, I am trying to upgrade the power supply in my Dell Poweredge T310 so I can add a graphics card to it. When I plug in a old PSU that I have at home it won't turn on, I believe it is because this model has a proprietary PSU connector. Are there any adapters that I can use, or any way to get a standard ATX to work in the Poweredge T31O?

17 Posts

January 4th, 2019 00:00

It isn't a power supply problem.  It's that Dell has engineered that slot to supply 25 watts - and consumer cards usually need 75 watts or more.  Changing the power supply won't cure your issue.  If Dell has a cable adapter/splitter of some kinds that will have a plug-in for the video card's power plug, then it MIGHT work.  Ask a new question if you can't find an answer by searching - once a Dell moderator has posted a reply to a question, Dell moderators typically won't post any further replies to that question.

17 Posts

May 11th, 2019 09:00

I'm using a nVidia GeForce GT520 PCI-e video card in my PowerEdge T310.  I don't know if it'll play 4K movies, but it has properly played every video I;ve asked it to so far.

1 Message

July 14th, 2019 22:00

Does this card run OpenGL? I am trying to visualize graphical output from Pix4D

Software.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2020 09:00

@compurescue Could you please share your BIOS settings? Did you change power options? I have GeForce GT710. Card is working, but when I work Windows randomly crash and restart. 

4 Posts

January 19th, 2020 17:00

@kfiatek hey did you find out a fix or solution? because i just bought Dell Poweredge T310 couple days ago and now im trying to turn into a workstation i know its not suppose to be for that purpose but it was all i could get in my local area for $100 (AUD) and i couldnt travel far. anyways im interested in buying GT710 soon but wanna make sure it works? and i seen people having problems with install GPU in the T310 this goes anyone whos trying to install one. how did you get the GT710 working? do you just install the GPU then go into bios disable Onboard graphics then change the monitor cable to the graphics card and then youll boot into windows and download the driver for the GPU and thats it?

2 Posts

January 20th, 2020 08:00

@zahky I gave up from card at the T310. Unfortunately, the system was not stable and kept shutting down/blue screen.

I did exactly what you wrote + disable internal USB + maximum performance in power options.

But probably the graphics still don't have enough power for stable work in my workstation.

Maybe you will have more luck.

Cheers

4 Posts

January 21st, 2020 19:00

@kfiatek  Damn well thats unfortunate... was your the new GT710(GDRR3) or old GT710 (GDRR4)

July 23rd, 2021 17:00

The pci slot for the video card provides only 25 w of power so you will need a graphic card that has low TDP and low power consumption. I upgraded my old video card with a Nvidia Nvs 315 1 Gb ddr3 and it works great. 

1 Message

June 8th, 2023 07:00

@compurescue Did you have to turn off the on board video card in order to get the GeForce GT520 to work? I have one coming due to your recommendation and wanted to see the best BIOS and other config for it. Thanks!

No Events found!