Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2017 13:00

Boot from PCIe SSD and configure RAID on Poweredge R620 server?

I have a dual-CPU Poweredge R620 server. In the R620 Technical Guide, Dell states that a couple of Fusion Io PCIe SSDs are compatible with the PCIe slots in the server, and that there is a PCIe Bridge Adapter that enables use of front panel hot-swap Express Flash PCIe SSDs.

See page 32 of this document: i.dell.com/.../dell-poweredge-r620-technical-guide.pdf

My goal is to boot my server from PCIe SSDs. I would like to understand if this is possible a) from PCIe SSDs installed in the PCI slots (will drives other than the two Fusion Io units work?); b) if the answer to item A is no, is it possible to boot from Express Flash PCIe SSDs?

Furthermore, if it is possible to boot from PCIe SSDs installed in the PCI slots, is it possible to configure two such SSDs in RAID 0/1?

And if it is not possible to do that, what is the Dell part number for the PCIe Bridge Adapter that enables use of Express Flash PCIe SSDs? I have not been able to find this part number despite numerous Google searches.

Thank you for information. 

• 

8.8K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 08:00

SeaSpeak,

It is supported to run and/or boot from up to 2 PCIe SSD's in the server. Which should be visible from with in the hardware raid controller. The PCIe Bridge Card your referring to is part number YPNRC.

Let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 09:00

hi - thanks very much for the part number.

When you say that it's supported to boot from up to 2 PCIe SSDs, will the system boot from two SSDs on PCIe cards on the risers (and be able to RAID those cards) or will it only boot and RAID from the special hot-swap PCIe drives mounted in the front panel caddies with the YPNRC card installed?

Point being, I'm trying to understand whether I can:

1 -Install two PCIe NVMe SSD cards in the PCI risers, boot from them, and use one in RAID to mirror the other, or

2 - I have to buy and install a YPNRC bridge card and two PCIe SSDs in the 2.5" hard drive form factor in order to boot from the SSDs and configure them in RAID.

If you could let me know whether both option 1 and 2 are viable or if it's only option 2 that would be super helpful.

thanks much!

• 

8.8K Posts

January 4th, 2018 08:00

Seaspeak,

While this link shows it is indeed a supported option, there are some caveats to this. They are;

[‎1/‎4/‎2018 10:18 AM] McDonald, William:

Caveat #1 - This is NOT an upgradeable option, and must be configured this way prior to system shipping

Caveat #2 - Only supported in a specific chassis configuration

Caveat #3 - Must use a specific customer kit for the PCIe SSD adapter

Caveat #4 - there's a series of cables that run from the PCIe bridge card to the controller, which are needed in order to work.

Those being said it isn't officially supported to try upgrading to this, but it doesn't mean it won't work, just that it isn't officially supported. So it would be based on trial and error. 

No Events found!