This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 12:00

DELL R610 - Broadcom BACS3 doesnt show Teaming Option

Hi,

I have a brand new DELL R610 server that came with SBS 2011 standard pre-installed, as part of the config i wanted to setup failover teaming across two switches using NIC Port 1 and 2.

However when i load the BACS3 software the teaming option is not available.

I even downloaded the Broadcom package from the DELL website and installed it but it is the exact same problem.

DRIVER

NIC: Broadcom BCM5709C NetExtreme II Gig (NDIS VBD Client)

Driver Provider: Broadcom Corporation

Driver Date: 04/02/2011

Driver Version: 6.2.9.0

BACS3

Versiion: 12.6.13.0

Thanks in advance

Andrew

626 Posts

August 4th, 2011 09:00

BASP (stands for Broadcom Advanced Server Program) is the component that must be installed to provide teaming functionality.  Make sure it is installed.  To do that, go to Add/Remove Programs and modify the Broadcom component that appears there.  Make sure BASP is selected in the "Custom Setup" page.  If it's already installed, you can cancel the modification.  If it's not installed, select it and continue with the modification.

If BASP is installed on your system, open BACS3 and select the "View" menu, then "Navigate", then "Team Management".

Let me know what you find out.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2011 10:00

Sorry for those issues, there are a few different ways in getting this resolved.  What I would advise is to go ahead and be sure that .net is current since you do have network functionality. Then, download the latest packages, I would start with the driver installation, then the BACS software installation.  On support.dell, you only have option for umbrella package to install the driver with the BACS package.  With the issues experienced, I advise starting with the package separately to ensure you have no issues.

Next would be to completely remove Broadcom from the unit.  Both under add/remove programs as well as device manager.  It will reboot, cancel out any device message that comes up, then run the driver package.  Then run the management installer and you should then see the big teaming button be active when launching BACS.

Download page:

www.broadcom.com/.../netxtremeii.php

Select the one for your OS, that’s the driver package, scroll down and pick Broadcom Management Applications Installer (x64) for the OS for the management software.

1 Message

August 5th, 2011 17:00

@tester25,

Many thanks, your fix worked for me!  I have a PE R610 with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit) that came preconfigured with the O/S from Dell.  Not sure why they don't install the BASP option from the factory, but once I added that I was able to quickly setup the Teaming :)

Thanks again for your help!

626 Posts

August 8th, 2011 15:00

I found this in the Broadcom release notes:

The Broadcom Drivers and Management Applications installer has been updated to not offer BASP in Windows Server 2008 Small Business Server edition since teaming is not supported by Microsoft in this platform.

Also, I found this on a Microsoft Website:

technet.microsoft.com/.../gg491249.aspx

The Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard networking wizards do not support network teaming

Some hardware manufacturers provide network adapters and drivers that feature fault tolerance technology. You can use fault tolerance technology to group network adapter ports for a connection to a single physical segment. This is known as “network teaming.” If connectivity through one port does not work, another port is automatically activated to handle the connection. This process is transparent to the operating system and to other devices on the network.

The Windows SBS 2011 Standard Connect to the Internet Wizard and Fix My Network Wizard do not support network teaming because it is a scenario that is not typically used in a small business environment. However, you should use these wizards to correctly configure the server to use a single network adapter.

If you decide to use network teaming, you should not use the Windows SBS 2011 Standard networking wizards after you configure teaming because doing this will have an unknown effect on the team. Additionally, because the Windows SBS 2011 Standard networking wizards do not support network teaming, if you require assistance from Microsoft support, you will be instructed to remove the network team and then to use the Windows SBS 2011 Standard networking wizards to correctly configure the server for the network.

No Events found!