Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NK

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

Dell PowerEdge VRTX Network Problem

Hi all, I am hoping someone can tell me where I'm going wrong with my new VRTX. I've get the VRTX setup (CMC & DRAC working fine), but after I've either installed Windows 2008 R2 or ESXi 5.1, the servers don't seem to be able to see the network. I've got the 8 ports at the back all plugged in, and I know they are all working as I've tested each one on my laptop. Both lights on each network port on the back of the VRTX is on. I don't seem to be able to configure the network ports on the back of the VRTX in the CMC. If I look in 'Chassis Overview\IO Module Overview\Setup', it tells me for the 'R1-PT VRTX 1Gb Pass-through' (which is turned on etc.) that 'This device does not support Ethernet management'. In properties, Slot A has a green tick for the gigabit Ethernet on the 'R1-PT VRTX 1Gb Pass-through'. This is set to master. What have I missed ? and how can I get my servers that I'm installing to see the rest of the network ? Thanks. Nik.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hello Nik

If I look in 'Chassis Overview\IO Module Overview\Setup', it tells me for the 'R1-PT VRTX 1Gb Pass-through' (which is turned on etc.) that 'This device does not support Ethernet management'.

That is because it is not a managed switch. It is just a pass-through. You don't configure anything for it. It just provides physical access ports for your modules.

What do you have the pass-through connected to? Is it connected to a switch? If you check the switch is it getting MAC addresses? Do you have VLANs configured?

There is nothing to configure with a pass-through module. I suspect this is a configuration issue with the switch that the pass-through module is connected to, or the way your network is configured.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2014 12:00

One other thing to note.

Since this is a pass-through and not a switch you need to run a cable for each interface. You cannot run a single cable for all of the modules to connect externally to. Think of the ports on the pass-through as no different than NIC ports on the back of a server. If you want that interface to have a connection you have to run a cable to it.

If it were a switch instead of a pass-through then you could just run a single cable out of the switch onto your network and the switch would route traffic through that one interface.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 4th, 2014 15:00

Also, if you have a blade (server) with the quad-port integrated (daughter) network card (I think it's the default on the M520), you'll only be able to use 2 of the 4 ports on that network card.

These ports also will only connect at 1Gbit speed if I'm not mistaken, and will not auto negotiate to 10 or 100Mbit.

May 6th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for the reply, I've tried all the obvious stuff like checking the cables, switch port connect to switch etc. All are working fine. There are no VLANs setup. I've spoken to Technical support now, and I've getting a replacement pass-through port tomorrow. Kind Regards, Nik.
No Events found!