Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2011 15:00

Dell Poweredge Drivers

Ok, so I bought a PowerEdge 1600sc server and I am trying to install Windows XP on it. To do this, I need the SCSI drivers to install it. Can someone point me to where these drivers are? I've been searching and I can't find the right ones.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2011 21:00

I apologize but Windows XP is not a support OS for any Dell servers.  But you could try using the 2003 driver and manually load it using the F6 feature.

The driver can be found here.

supportapj.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Even if you get it installed, you may run into other unknown issues, because it is not tested or supported on the server.

Good luck with the install, and let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

September 8th, 2011 10:00

Like Daniel said, since XP is not supported, drivers will not be readily available for the 1600SC.  It can often be done, but you usually have to get creative with it ... drivers from workstations with the same devices, different but similar supported OS (2000/2003), device manufacturers' websites, etc.

Are your drives connected to a controller, or to the onboard SCSI port?  If connected to an add-in PERC controller, you can try the 2000/2003 drivers, but you may never get it installed with those controllers.  If using an Adaptec non-RAID controller, you might get it to work by using a 2003 driver for the 39160 or backplane drivers ... or even an XP driver from a Workstation, if using the Ultra 320 controller by LSI ... maybe try the Precision 450:

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

September 8th, 2011 17:00

you gave me that download page. exactly which driver would you say to use for this?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 9th, 2011 08:00

My link was a link to the add-in LSI Ultra 320 SCSI controller driver for XP from a Precision 450 workstation that uses the same controller.

Daniel's link was simply the download page for the 1600SC.  You are likely looking at one of the SCSI non-RAID Controllers drivers for Server 2003.

Since there are several, and to eliminate any more guess work, what controller are you using?  How are the drives connected?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2011 12:00

Exactly what Flash said, I am not sure what controller you are using, so I provided all available.

September 9th, 2011 13:00

I am using a LSI U320 controller. I have 1 300gb SCSI U320 68 pin drive

@flash, i just tried that driver. the its an exe. when i installed it it didnt work. it needs a txtsetup.oem. none of the drivers that ive been downloading from dells website, after installed to the floppy, contain the txtsetup.oem.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Like I said in your "other" thread ... use the link I gave your from the Precision workstation.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 9th, 2011 14:00

The driver for Server 2000 is a self-extracting ZIP file.  You can't put the EXE on the floppy ... you have to run the EXE first to extract the files, then copy those 9 files (including the textsetup.oem file) to a floppy disk.

Server 2000 for PowerEdge 1600SC/U320 Controller:

The driver for XP on the workstation will create the floppy image directly to the floppy.  Simply run it with the floppy inserted.  After it runs, check the floppy for the textsetup.oem file.

Windows XP for Precision 450/U320 Controller:

September 9th, 2011 17:00

i know that. run the exe and it will extract the the floppy. My floppy died like 3 minutes later so it was faulty. thats why it didnt get the right files the first time. im give it another shot now

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 9th, 2011 20:00

Just checking ... many people don't know that.  Since you said none of the drivers have the textsetup.oem file, and I was seeing the textsetup.oem file in all of them, I wouldn't have been a good helper to leave it unsaid :)

Have you used nLiteOS.com?  Much more reliable than floppies (how did we ever put up with them?!)

No Events found!