Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

8 Posts

March 18th, 2021 06:00

Dell Poweredge r610 Perc6i battery failed, replacement also showing as failed

Got an alert that the battery for the Perc6i was in a failed state. Replaced with a new battery and now in the logs it's showing battery is good, battery is failed, over and over. In the alert logs it shows that the batter is unable to maintain a charge.Does it need to run a learn cycle or is there any other steps other than replacing the battery?

Is it possible a new battery is bad? Does it need more than 12 hours to recharge? Is there something on the controller that has failed?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

March 18th, 2021 10:00

Hello,

Its possible that you received a failed battery, or that the connector on the PERC itself has an issue. It's been my experience with this sort of error that if replacing the battery didn't resolve the issue, it's likely that connector on the PERC. That having been said, I'd recommend double checking that the firmware on the PERC is up to date. It may resolve the issue, though I would suspect that you'll ultimately need to replace the controller.

8 Posts

March 18th, 2021 11:00

Working with the vendor on the battery issue just to see what they say. The cable that comes with the replacement batter is only like 4" long so I have to use the cable that's already in the server. Controller seems to be healthy otherwise but I guess it could be having an issue, there's no symptoms or events related to the controller specifically, just the battery. The log entries that show the batter being good and then bad over and over are really weird. Not sure what that's about. There's one revision for the FW of the controller which I can certainly try.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

March 20th, 2021 12:00

> The log entries that show the batter being good and then bad over and over are really weird. Not sure what that's about.

The Perc 6/i must have some battery charging and testing circuit on it, and if that circuit failed, batteries will always end up being failed.   

eBay is flooded with cheap Perc 6/i's since they're obsolete - $7 for board only, $13 with everything included ATM.

No Events found!