Unsolved

Closed

E

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2023 04:00

Dell Poweredge t630 won't turn on

I was attempting to plug a Quadro 6000 into the motherboard while the server was running, and it sorta freaked out then went down. The power button yields about half a second of fans spinning before it goes down again with the error: The system board 5V SWITCH PG voltage is outside of range.

I can still access the iDRAC, if that affects anything.

• 

3.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2023 10:00

Hello ERROR404NULLNOTFOUND,

I'm sorry to see that. That's a tough way to find out PCIe cards are not hot swap.

Let me provide troubleshooting steps you can do:

Drain flea power and remove Quadro 6000. Check results.

If it still does not POST then  do Clear NVRAM, Minimum to POST

drain flea power (shut down, disconnect power cables and Network cables, hold in power button 20 seconds with cords removed).  Remove Quadro 6000.

After flea power drain, system has to set for 3 minutes for DRAC to reset without any power plugged in, then plug in NIC and power but wait 2 minutes before power on to give DRAC time to initialize.

---Check results

Clear NVRAM - there is a map under the lid to show the jumper location. Shut down,  Set jumper to the Clear position, power on and Post up to the jumper error, shut down and return jumper to original location.

---Check results

Minimum to post  (this is minimum components to POST, it won't boot, this is to test POST. If successful POST, put things back a little at a time until find faulting component)

The minimum components to allow the PowerEdge T630 to complete POST are:

*One processor (CPU) in socket processor 1 [if no POST try different processor in socket]

*One memory module (DIMM) in socket A1 [if no POST try different DIMM in slot]

*One power supply unit

*System board

*Control panel

Remove anything not on that list: DVD, Hard drives, PERC controller, backplane, network card, NIC cable, any pcie cards, keyboard, mouse, USB devices, ….  anything not on the list remove.

If you get successful POST, put things back a little at a time until you find the faulting component.

If it does not POST then the issue is with one of those minimum to POST components.

I will also note that the Quadro 6000 is not validated for the T630.

Some are listed here with GPU card installation guidelines :

https://dell.to/42Lq1rA

3 Apprentice

• 

436 Posts

March 24th, 2023 03:00

remove the PCI card and power drain the system.

normally it came up.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

March 26th, 2023 12:00

After disconnecting everything but 24 and 6-pin power and ethernet to the iDRAc from the motherboard and putting CPU2 in the CPU1 slot and putting CPU2 off to the side, when I powered it on, the PSU's fans spun up and when I plugged in a fan, it spun up, however there is no virtual console output.

• 

3.7K Posts

March 28th, 2023 05:00

Hello ERROR404NULLNOTFOUND,

What does it show it the top banner when you are in the iDRAC?  Is it iDRAC Enterprise, or Express

Check what you set in the BIOS for Video. Typically it should be Enabled

BIOS > Integrated Devices > Embedded Video Controller: Enable/Disable

Go ahead and leave the fans installed when doing minimum to post.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

April 11th, 2023 07:00

iDRAC Enterprise, the previous owner of my server had a lot more money than I do.

The integrated video controller should be enabled, as I was using the video output when it died.

No Events found!