Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2021 07:00

Does T40 Support Logitech C920 Pro Webcam?

Hi All,

nearly there with my new T40. Smile.

My logitech C920 Pro webcam will not work with my new T40 running BIOS 1.3.1 and windows data center server 2019.

Of course, running a windows X VM the web cam works on the VM but the microphone does not. 

There you go eh? Something always has to not work.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone else ever got a logitech C920 pro web cam working on a Dell T40 running windows data center server 2019?

If not? Can anyone recommend a web cam that they know works on the T40 with windows server 2019 data center edition?

It is not my intention to keep this server as my desktop.

When I have a little more money I am going to buy a small NUC computer as my desktop and run windows X on it.

But until then? I would like to find a webcam that works.

Thank you in advance for any advice you could give me on this matter.

Best Regards 

Peter

31 Posts

July 20th, 2021 04:00

Hi speedstep,
Yes, I know that many services are turned off on windows servers as a default. I have been through testing for changes I can make. 

In the end I have switched back my desktop to my desk and put the T40 in my "rack" (shelves) like a server. If I can get the webcam to work on it one day then I can use it as a desktop. But I do plan to buy a small NUC for my desktop some time.

So, I was hopeful it would work and it didn't. And that's ok.  

Thank you or the pointers....I will keep trying because my old desktop now looks even slower having used the T40 for a few days! LOL! 

(Maybe I just have to buy that new dell desktop sooner! LOL!) 

Best Regards

Pete

31 Posts

July 19th, 2021 07:00

Just an update.

I found this post.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1127571-trying-to-find-a-driver-for-a-logitech-c920-webcam/

This is where the driver is installed for windows 10.

https://download01.logi.com/web/ftp/pub/video/lws/lws280.exe

But I installed this and it did not work either.

• 

3.7K Posts

July 19th, 2021 11:00

Hello Peter,

I hope you are doing well today.  We're in uncharted territory here.  Dell has not validated any web cams on servers. 

We'll leave the post here maybe someone from the community has tried it.

I could advise to make sure you have the BIOS and Chipset driver up to date and check your results.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/poweredge-t40/drivers

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 19th, 2021 22:00

@PeterJones  @Dell -Charles R 

The C920 is very picky. Must be used on USB2.0 ports. Will not be detected on USB3 ports.

Cannot be used on a hub.

The other issue is that with server OS multimedia api like directx, wifi and video acceleration are disabled by default on server os.

It works with windows 10 but not with the default security settings for Server 2003 and later OS default security.

https://www.visualwin.com/DirectX/

https://www.dskoli.in/blog/enable-wi-fi-in-windows-server-2016

C920 SW.png

C920.png

31 Posts

Hi Charles,

Yes, I can understand that putting a webcam on a server is not the norm. But I was kind of hoping it would work anyway. I do plan to buy a small NUC for myself and put the T40 into a rack in my home office. So it's not a big deal.  (Or maybe a dell desktop.)

I got a response from Logitech saying they do not support windows server and to try the standard drivers. But that did not work. Here is the link. 

C920 Webcam Pro Not working on Dell T40 Windows Server 2019 Data Center – Logitech Support + Download

There is zero market for web cams on servers so I know I am asking if someone happens to have worked this out.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I used to buy only Dell for my laptops for years before I had to switch. It is nice to have a dell again. :-).

And great to see the good old dell service.

Just as a story you can tell your fellow dell support guys.

The reason I was so loyal to dell for many years was the service you gave me with my first dell laptop in 2001. I bought a second hand dell laptop in Australia when I left my company and was relocating to Ireland.

In transit my laptop bag strap broke when I was walking around in Paris. The laptop was damaged in the fall. Something was shaken loose in the fall.

I called Dell in Dublin Ireland and eventually a tech guy came to my house and managed to find the damaged part and re-set it. It had just come loose in the fall. Dell did not charge me one cent to do that.

I said to the guy I was so thankful that my laptop was fixed I would be buying dell for ever more.

I bought three more dell laptops through to 2008. A new one every couple of years.

Then one time I was ordering a new Dell they would not take my order because my card was from Ireland but I wanted the laptop delivered to Germany. So I have been away for a while. Now it is time to buy new PCs? I will be buying dell unless you won't take my order again! LOL! 

Best Regards 

Peter

31 Posts

Hi Charles,
yes, I updated the BIOS to 1.4.0 and also updated the chipset. I applied all the updates from the support site. But no luck I am afraid. 

As I said. I know it's not officially supported and it's also not a big deal.

In about 2 months I will buy a new desktop for myself and put this machine in to a rack.

I still have my old win X PC sitting in the rack in my home office so if push comes to shove and can put the T40 in to the rack and use the old win X desktop. 

But the dell T40 is so quiet and so nice! I don't want my old PC back on my desk! LOL! 

Best Regards 

Peter 

No Events found!