Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2015 06:00

E1410 Fatal Error Dell PowerEdge T710 server

Dear All,
I have Dell PowerEdge T710 server. I bought it from Ebay, it only had 1 processor and i bought another processor exactly the same. When i turn it on it gives fatal error. 

I have done exactly whats describe in this article 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19494160

but no luck, anyone has any Idea ?

this what it states in the article

Configuration Before: 1 x Xeon 5540 CPU with 24GB RAM

Configuration Now: 2 x Xeon 5540 CPU with 48GB RAM

- After installing a CPU in Socket #2 and RAM to match CPU 1 and the RAM, upon boot I get the error on the front LCD E1410 Fatal System Error.

- I have moved the new CPU2 into the CPU1 socket then removed the CPU 2 RAM and it boots with no issues.

- I then took RAM from CPU1 banks out and left it with only 2 sticks in slots 1 and 2, it booted with no issues.

- I then took and put the old CPU in Socket #2 and placed 8GB RAM in identical configuration into CPU 2 banks and get the same error.

After this troubleshooting it shows that its NOT the CPU that is causing the issue, and it doesnt seem to be RAM either. There are no pins bent or missing on the socket. I did try to reset the NVRAM but it doesnt seem like it fixed it. Is there some BIOS update that I need in order to use both CPU's? I have never seen any issue like this before... I just really hope its not the socket itself somehow.

this is teh answer it had 

Everyone! Great News. I am going to declare this post as Solved! :) After all of the troubleshooting and testing. I would like to say.... Check your pins under processor 1 if your getting this error. You may see 1 or 2.... or in my case 8 pins bent... I can only say this came from Dell this way as the only time processor 1 was removed was in troubleshooting putting the 2nd one in. It seems that I never checked to see if there was anything wrong because the processor was working was no issues in slot 1.... However after checking there was 8 pins bent. I used sharp flat tweezers to pry them up and reposition them in place... put both processors in and BAM!!!!! It booted no errors.

Question.... how the [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed] did it function with 8 pins not touching or crossed. How did I not get vm kernel crashes. lol

Thank You all for all your help. I am going to say its solved because I am the OP, however please continue troubleshooting your issues.

Thanks again

Jessy

In my case RAM for each CPU is 72GB which makes total of 144GB.

the stepping and microcode on both processor are the same. 

i have updated the BIOS and firmware by having both processor in socket 1 but still no luck. 

I have been struggling it will be great help. please 

Regards

CJ

No Responses!
No Events found!