Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2015 11:00

E141C & E2011 on PowerEdge 2950-II.

This server has been sitting for about 8 months, and the last time I used it it was running fine.  It was not connected to any power in that downtime.

It has 2x2core Xeons and 8x2GB RAM.

I decided to set it up in my rack today for a project and it would not power on at all, throwing E141C CPU Mismatch.  After some troubleshooting I concluded that neither CPU would work in Socket 2, and both CPUs would work in Socket 1.  Ok, I'll just run it with one CPU then...

Now it is powering up but I'm not getting any display via VGA ports and it's throwing a code for E2011 Mem Config Error.  I tried all sorts of different combinations of installing those RAM modules including a single module in slot 1.  If any RAM is installed in this server I get E2011, and if no RAM is installed I get the code for no RAM detected.

I moved the NVRAM jumper over, booted, shut down, moved jumper back.  Same issue.

What could the problem be?  I can't even get this thing to display anything I don't even know if it's posting.  Worked fine last time I played with it which makes this even more frustrating.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 11th, 2015 14:00

JohnnyDotExe,

I would suggest starting with taking the server to a Minimum to Post configuration, which is the minimum components to allow the 2950 to complete POST. That is removing everything from the server but the following;

• System board
  • Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1
  • Two sticks of memory in memory slots 1 and 2
  • 1 power supply
  • Control panel (to turn on system)
  • Sideplane
  • Both PCI risers; PCI-e in center slot, (PCI-e or PCI-X) in left slot  

Take the server to that configuration and then let me know if the display is functioning. If not then the issue may lie within the motherboard itself.

Let me know what you see.

11 Posts

June 12th, 2015 11:00

I unplugged the CD drive, what I think is the SAS card (plugs in to sideplane, sits above drives 1 & 2), pulled all RAM except module in slot 1, also had the 4x fans pulled.  Received Fan RPM Error on fans 1, 2 and 3.  Put fans back in and it powered on with no errors, but still no display on either VGA port.  Put second RAM module in slot 2, E2011 code, pulled back out.  Plugged SAS card back in to sideplane, E2011 code, pulled back out.

11 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 23:00

Still no progress or changes since my last reply.  Can't seem to figure out what the problem(s) is.

No Events found!