Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2016 12:00

Enterprise FTP

Is the Dell Enterprise FTP site down or having issues?  I've got several servers i'm attempting to perform updates on via the lifecycle controller and keep getting FTP Authentication failed- enter correct user name and possword and retry.  Any suggestions/info?

3 Posts

June 13th, 2016 13:00

I opened up a case with Dell Customer Support. It was a bizarre phone call to say the least.

I had to explain my issue about 3 times to the first guy and then was transferred to a server engineer. The Engineer started grilling me as to why I needed to download the ESX hypervisor and why am I  "changing the OS of your server". He then questioned me as to why I need to download firmware updates and if something was wrong. I almost hung up at that point but stuck in there. I explained that these were brand new in the box servers with no OS installed on them from the factory. I also explained that it's our policy to update all firmware on newly deployed production servers. It was unreal.

He then confirmed that FTP is down for everyone (he heard from another group that the permissions "got wiped out". He didn't believe me when I told him I couldn't download a file from the Dell Support site. After much back and forth he finally tried himself and confirmed my suspicion that the problem is on their end. He basically said there's nothing they can do and to just keep trying. Great... Next time I'm buying Proliants. 

• 

6.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 16:00

Hello

Yes, I am having issues accessing our download and FTP sites. I do not have an ETA on when the issue will be resolved.

Thanks

4 Posts

June 6th, 2016 15:00

Daniel- thanks for check on that last week.  Are you still experiencing issues on your end?  I've got about 20 servers we are attempting to update and are still unable to access the FTP site.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 10th, 2016 10:00

Daniel- thanks for check on that last week.  Are you still experiencing issues on your end?  I've got about 20 servers we are attempting to update and are still unable to access the FTP site.

I was just copied on an email indicating that there are issues with the FTP site. If you are able to access ftp or downloads.dell.com they are running slow. The issue is being worked on. I'm not sure how long our download sites will be operating at a diminished capacity, no ETA.

Thanks

3 Posts

June 13th, 2016 09:00

Has anyone heard any updates on this. I've been seeing this problem since last Thursday. Unable to run Firmware updates or download needed drivers from the Dell Support site. I've tried several different ISPs and still no go. Pretty unacceptable, I have deadlines to get these new servers built.

4 Posts

I had very similar issues last week with x20 R620's.  I found a workaround from what i'm assuming is a dell FTP server IP.  Instead of entering ftp.dell.com in the lifecycle controller, I entered the IP 143.166.135.12 .  The updates are one or two versions behind, but after pulling the updates from 143.166.135.12 I was able to then pull the updates from ftp.dell.com.  It seems sketchy but it got us up to date and running last week.  Let me know if it works for you

3 Posts

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm also trying to download the latest Dell Customized VMware  Hypervisor from their support site and no go. It fails after about 200MB. 

4 Posts

I think they are having issues with both the download sites and FTP from what I read in a different chat forum last week.  I started noticing the issues about 2 weeks ago so it has been an ongoing issue.

September 22nd, 2016 21:00

Thanks,

I had an old Dell Server T310 which did not have an operating system on it. Standard practice is to install os plus bios updates etc. Lots of problems. Two months of attempts. There are four methods of updating Dell servers one of which was ftp. I tried ftp but no good (about the same time May - June 2016). 

I just tried ftp works now. So your discussion helped me a lot as I gave up on Dell. I gave up on putting Windows Server 2012 and Server 2008 as the fixes which were needed. I have since put Ubuntu server on this Dell server but it is only approved for Red Hat.

So HP for me next time

No Events found!