Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

December 6th, 2017 13:00

FX2 adding a nic to one of the PCI slots in the back

We have a Dell FX2 with 4 servers in the top portion and 4 blanks in the bottom portion.

Normally we just go out the two IOA's for the trunks to our networks and the SAN.  However I need a TAP interface presented to one of my VMWare ESXi hosts so a virtual machine can utilize a port mirrored promiscuous nic attached to an Extreme Networks PurView Applicaiton analytics appliance, and another also attached to a Cisco IronPort web filter doing Layer 4 traffic monitoring.

Can I hot add an Intel dual port card to one of these PCI slots, and how do I know what blade it connects to?  Would VMWare ESXi 6.0 see it right away, or would I have to vmotion the VM's off it and reboot that particular blade?

Thanks for the information!

• 

8.7K Posts

December 6th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

This shows the slot mapping for the pcie slots http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/poweredge-fx2/cmcfx2fx2s13ug-v1/configuring-pcie-slots?guid=guid-9f3e4c92-307d-4a55-9269-54ae20a9677f&lang=en-us

The pcie cards are not hot swappable. You need to power down the whole chassis to add a card. 

October 13th, 2018 09:00

how to assign dedicated Nic port for vmware vsphere Replication appliance on FN IOA Modules

1 Message

February 4th, 2020 09:00

I was reviewing the user guide for FX2 and it says the PCIe modules are warm-swappable. So the computer sled needs to be powered off but not the FX2 chassis.

"The PCIe module is a warm-swappable component. The PCIe slot in a PCIe module is assigned to a compute sled. Removing or adding a PCIe module while the compute sled to which it is assigned is on can result in an error condition."

No Events found!