Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2017 12:00

Getting "memory configuration is not optimal press f1 to continue" After memory is installed [ Edited ]

I replaced the entire fleet of 2gb memory sticks in a Dell Poweredge R715 with: Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM (Part#CT5321400).

I have two processors, so following the manual, I believed the correct slots for the two sticks to be A1 and B1. 

When starting/rebooting the server I am prompted with the listed memory config. not optimal message. When I look at the hardware configuration it is show the ram as being 1333.

What're the next steps in resolving this message and creating an optimal config?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2017 14:00

Hello

Memory population rules start on page 92 of the manual:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r715/

Single module population is not supported. It should only be used for troubleshooting. You need a minimum of 2 memory modules installed, and if you have more than one CPU each lane must have identical populations. If you have a single CPU the minimum modules required for a supported configuration is 2. If you have 2 CPUs the minimum modules required are 4.

You need 2 more of the exact same memory modules. You should have memory in slots 1,3 on both lanes. Populating in slots 1,2 should work as well, but the guidelines in the manual recommend 1,3.

Thanks

12 Posts

September 1st, 2017 14:00

I have two processors, are you saying that I need to have 4 sticks of memory (2 on each side) in the server in order to have a proper configuration?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2017 15:00

I have two processors, are you saying that I need to have 4 sticks of memory (2 on each side) in the server in order to have a proper configuration?

Yes, that is what I said.

No Events found!