Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2019 22:00

HP/SEAGATE ST4000NM0023 on a Dell Server? Can it take the Dell firmware?

I have inherited 2x HP/SEAGATE ST4000NM0023 (SAS 4 TB) which are of course on HP firmware. Can those be flashed with Dell firmware and be used on a Poweredge T610 with H700 controller? The drives appear to be working correctly and have passed all the diagnostics (including full surface scan). I searched for HP firmware and it appears that the drives are quite back firmware-wise so an update will probably be a good idea. Can the latest Dell firmware be applied?

• 

6.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

Hello

Our firmware is intended only for our drives. I don't know if HP has their own firmware or if they use Seagate firmware. If you try to install our firmware on a non-Dell EMC drive it will give errors.

Dell EMC drives are not a requirement for our PERCs, but non-Dell EMC drives are not supported. If the drives are working without issue then I suggest making note of the firmware they are currently using. If you change the firmware on the drives or controller it may cause issues. When you use unsupported hardware you will need to perform your own validation with each firmware update.

Thanks

April 14th, 2021 00:00

why is this post marked as solved? this issue wasn't addressed. I have the same issue, i have ST4000NM0063, these are identical in model number to Dell and seagate drives, so there is no reason why dell has locked the perc controllers out from these devices. ESPECIALLY without telling people prior to buying servers what hard drives wont work in systems in perpetuity in the future.

how about a firmware that will work? 

or how about removing the block in the raid controller to allow drives regardless of compatibility, on older legacy machines, that cant be under warranty or service any longer....

This tells me to stay away from dell products, and I own several racks full of dell blades and servers.

I would appreciate a real solution to this problem, and not a "buy something different" solution

• 

2.4K Posts

April 14th, 2021 02:00

Hello,

Products such as servers from the Enterprise range are configured to provide the best performance for the longest time. In this, they use hardware that will work compatible with their own firmware.
Problems may also occur with non-Dell parts due to firmware incompatibilities.

There might be instances where non-Dell certified drives work, but the main problem may be that non-Dell certified drives are not recognized based on the firmware.

Oftentimes, problems can arise because FW is not recognized on non-Dell certified parts. So even if 3rd party parts are likely to work, it's hard to see this without trying it out. And some parts can cause other problems on the server. (Like No Post, No Video...etc)

Hope this will helps!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 14th, 2021 14:00

"why is this post marked as solved? this issue wasn't addressed. I have the same issue"

Haha it's not your thread. The author marked it as solved. You can start your own thread and then mark it as solved (or not) based on the answers you receive to your situation.

There is no block on non-certified drives. The RAID controller will log that it is not certified so when you go troubleshooting storage-related issues, that will jump to the top of your list of culprits.

Seagate does not allow their proprietary firmware to be altered by third-parties. Dell pays for their firmware to be loaded at the Seagate factory. Seagate locks them down to specific update applications within that contract as well.

You buy a server from Dell, HP, etc., you are buying a solution, not component pieces that are part of a universally compatible and happy family, and all the vendors have developed their solutions with the ability in mind to be able to guarantee a level of performance and reliability from their solution offered to orgs with problems to solve or needs to meet. Buy certified drives (you don't have to buy them from Dell for their markup - buy the same certified drives from resellers/suppliers like XByte or ServerSupply) or take your chances with non-certified drives. Many non-certified drives have settings similar enough to work without issue. These drives are not blocked by the PERC. If they don't work, it is not because the PERC blocks or sabotages them, it is because they lack the programming needed to communicate with the PERC in way it is expecting. Dell is not alone in doing this - you'll find it with virtually everyone - any storage vendor does the same thing. Even if you purchase generic retail hardware (servers, controllers, etc.), they will have an HCL for components, drives, etc. that it has tested against for compatibility. The universal hardware that you are looking for doesn't exist.

1 Message

November 15th, 2021 15:00

Totally understand, but where can I buy this ST4000NM0023 with Dell part #529FG ? it is not showing on Dell's web site. at least I can't find it.

Thanks

• 

4.1K Posts

November 15th, 2021 22:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell. You can try contacting your local sales or sometimes you can search it directly online  with your server moldel ,like this 
https://dell.to/3FiDTgj

but again, sometimes, the same drive capacity but they have different models and alternate parts, so we need sales to check on it. 

No Events found!