Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2016 14:00

How do I solve my "iDRAC Not Ready" problems?

We have a PowerEdge R420 running an VMware ESXi 5.1 server in RAID mode.

We had a power outage that resulted in the R420 getting a "SWC0700: iDRAC Not Ready" error.  Our iDRAC setting version is 1.30.30.27.  I found the report about resetting the iDRAC and updating the iDRAC firmware with this version and error state.  Following the suggestions to unplug the power cables, USB cables and then holding the power button for 15 seconds did not clear up the problem.  The boots following this process had the same SWC0700 error.

I created a OSMA7.1 boot DVD, and I tried to install, from a USB drive, various iDRAC versions newer that 1.30, but everytime the system reported /proc/ipmi/0/: file not found (or something similar as I'm going on my memory here).

I needed the system up, so I pressed F1 to continue running.  The sytem seems to run fine except that the fans are running at high speed.

I saw another post about holding the iDRAC button for 15 seconds to reset the iDRAC, and I tried this with the system up and running normally.  This didn't do anything to the fan speeds so I am assuming it had no effect on the iDRAC.

I installed the Dell Administration COnsole VM on the ESXi hoping to run an iDRAC firmware upgrade from this VM, but, I couldn't connect to vCenter, which is probably beacuse I don't have a VCenter server, just two ESXi 5.1 servers -- I think I misread the DELL site thinking this might somehow work for me.

Now, I'm thinking about running the bootable ISO I found on this webpage: www.dell.com/.../SLN296511
My fear is that something might go wrong and I'll lose my server installation.

Should I put my trust in the bootable updating ISO?  Should I call Dell support -- I'm about 4 months out of technician on-site repair warranty -- and plan to replace my motherboard as I've read in other posts on this forum?  Can the motherboard be replaced without corrupting my ESXi installation?

I'm worried running the server with an "iDRAC Not Ready" error is going to burn out the server, or do something else that will ruin the server.  Should I even worry about this?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions in advance.

Jeff

• 

8.7K Posts

October 27th, 2016 14:00

It does sound like part replacement is needed. There is not a way to export the BIOS configuration. The fee for a tech replacement is usually $299 for servers, plus the cost of the system board. I am not sure what a one year extension on the warranty would cost. 

• 

8.7K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

RAID settings are stored on the drives and the RAID controller is a separate card, so it should not be affected by a system board replacement. As for the technician putting the BIOS settings back, it comes down to the individual technician, and if the notes for them specify that. 

• 

8.7K Posts

October 25th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

15 seconds of no power may not be enough. You may also need to disconnect the network cable from the iDRAC. Try for about a minute with no power. You can replace the system board without affecting your ESXi install. 

4 Posts

October 27th, 2016 14:00

Thank you, Josh.  I needed to find some downtime to perform the steps you described.

I ran a shutdown of the ESXi 5.1 Dell R420 server, unplugged every cable, including the monitor, network cables, USB cables and power cables.  I held the power button for 15 seconds with all cables unplugged.  I even held the front and the back i buttons, at separate times during this powered down state.  I left the R420 unplugged for 5 minutes.  The same problem as before occurred at boot.

I let the R420 reboot again before trying the Update Disc I mentioned in my original post.   The IPMI failed on the first 10 updates, so I gave up on that and power cycled the R420.  I wasn't prepared to wait for that to happen 109 times.

I'm back to where I was before.

I assume my next option is to call tech support and expect to end up with a replacement motherboard.

I assume I need to record my BIOS settings before replacing the motherboard.  Is there anyway to save the BIOS settings to a file on a USB drive?

If I would like Dell to send a tech to replace the motherboard, would it be more cost effective to renew my Labor Warranty since its only been about 4 months since it expired, or would a one time Labor visit be cheaper than renewing the warranty?

Thank you for your help.

I just want to try every option before calling in a replacement part, and then I don't want the anxiety if the replacement corrupts the installation.

4 Posts

Thank you, Josh.

I'm feeling a lot better about this process.  I appreciate the informative answers.

4 Posts

Thank you, Josh.  I'm going to work on that solution.  I took pictures of the BIOS settings.  I assume the most important for the preservation of the system installation is to get the RAID settings perfect on the new motherboard BIOS.

Would that be a safe assumption?

Would on-site service technician replacement of the motherboard typically account for BIOS settings and copy them as part of the replacement service?

Have a great day.

1 Message

October 4th, 2017 10:00

I have this exact issue (iDRAC errors and high fan speed) on an R320 and was wondering what the fix ended up being. Was it a new motherboard? We tried the 15 sec power button, disconnect everything. Also have an expired warranty and it happened after a power outage (Hurricane Irma). Thanks.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2018 11:00

Did you ever find out what the issue was?  I am having the exact same issue. Dell PE R320 (iDRAC errors and fans at full speed at all times). 

2 Posts

January 29th, 2018 12:00

Did you ever find out what the issue was?  I have the same problem.  Dell PE R320 (iDRAC errors and fans at full speed at all times).

April 16th, 2018 12:00

How was the problem solved? I have the same problem, after rebooting on server.

No Events found!