Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2016 05:00

How to fix System Services Requires Update with no iDRAC or LCC for Dell R510

Hi all,

I'm setting up a Dell R510 with cabled drive chassis and after updating the BIOS following the instructions (using downloadable firmware ISO image, Rufus and a bootable USB), now have a "System Services requires update" message and no F10 key on the main boot page. I can confirm the BIOS was updated from 1.7 to 1.12, but when i complete the warm boot at the end of the update process it just goes through the USB boot/update process again. None of the other boot paths (F11) tried find the BIOS - so i seem to be stuck in a loop.

I successfully set up the RAID 5 using the PERC6i controller, but have no installed OS. The system doesn't have an iDRAC (enterprise or express). I don't know if there is a LCC as I can't access the system services - but its not mentioned on the service tag page (this is a new box to me).

I read all the threads I could find on this forum, but most speak to servers that have the iDRAC/LLC in place. Others speak to 'flashing the BMC' but I don't know how to deploy the available downloads.

I'm stuck.

Suggestions appreciated?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 16th, 2016 12:00

Hello.

The System Services is actually the LifeCycle Controller, LCC. Try re-set the iDRAC by accessing its configuration utility using Ctrl+E keys during POST and reboot the server. If you still don't have access to the System Services, launch the iDRAC web interface and in Firmware Updates under Quick Launch Tasks, upload the LifeCycle Controller Repair Package and continue.

Keep us posted.

6 Posts

November 19th, 2016 15:00

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Got it about the LCC.

I challenge for me is how to do this without and IDRAC (express or enterprise) on the R510.

From searching older threads on this forum, i reached the conclusion that Dell no longer has a non iDRAC (express or integrated) way to run the 'lifecycle controller repair package", i.e. there is no way to burn an ISO file/image and run something off the DVD or USB drive at startup.

The solution for me was to redo the firmware update using the Dell Repository Manager - just for the R510. During the deploy step, when creating the iso package, click the box that says (overwrite) even if firmware levels are the same. I flashed this ISO to a USB using Rufus and redid my update and requested reboot, and magically the F10 System Services option returned to the POST page and i could get to the System Services DELL GUI.

Note that the R510 package i used the first time i just downloaded from the dell site and perhaps the download manager version is different.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 21st, 2016 08:00

Good initiative on your side. Keep posted on any issues with you Dell Server hardware

Thank you!

No Events found!