Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 10th, 2011 05:00

IDRAC Configuration Utility

I have just installed an IDRAC6 Enterprise card into my DELL R410 but when I boot up and press CTRL E it shows the BMC configuration utility. How do I get the IDRAC utility loaded?

The error message displayed upon boot up is Warning! idrac6 enterprise is unusable without idrac express

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2011 08:00

Yes, that’s correct.  The Express piece brings in a lot of feature sets when installed in the unit.  As far as the Enterprise piece, it’s essentially nothing more than a KVM port.  It doesn’t provide new features aside from the dedicated DRAC port.  If the Express is installed, you can use NIC 1 to share with DRAC connections, but ideal configuration is the Enterprise piece.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

On some units, the iDRAC express is embedded while On all units, the Enterprise piece is a modular piece. With the R410, the express is a modular piece not embedded on the system board.  If the Enterprise piece is installed without the express piece. 
If you have the express piece, I would look to reseat that mazer card, and possibly remove the Enterprise piece to see if you can boot up error free.
Indications are, the optional express piece isn’t in the unit which is a prerequisite for the iDRAC 6 Enterprise piece.

7 Posts

There is no iDRAC express on the server. I was not aware this was a prereq. So basically the IDRAC enterprise is useless without the express?

So I take it that I need to purchase an iDRAC express kit and then use the enterprise DRAC. But then can I install both on the server as there is only one port for this type of card on the server.

Sorry I am new to this so thanks for your patience!

1 Message

July 30th, 2013 13:00

First post here guys but I had to chime in... I am installing iDRAC Enterprise module(s) to my R410 and could only find the single port for and iDRAC card at position "2" on the manual's motherboard diagram... turns-out that there is another under the RAID controller card as well for the Express chip or module... it is at position "19" on my server's board. I installed both modules and the message stating that iDRAC Enterprise can't be used without iDRAC Express went away and the boot screen displayed a message "Initializing Remote Access Controller" for about 30 seconds then I entered the configuration utility for iDRAC and all was well. So you can use iDRAC Express and iDRAC Enterprise at the same time as it were as long as you have both modules. The hardware owners manual can be found at ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r410_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf.

April 24th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

I have the same issue with an R510 server:  That is, I installed the iDRAC6 Enterprise port at the back of the server and got the "Warning: iDRAC6 Enterprise is unusable without iDRAC Express.  I was able to access and configure an IP address in the BMC interface when hitting CTRL E, but was not able to access the iDRAC web interface at the configured IP address...

Anyway, if I just install an iDRAC6 Express card on the riser card would that also solve my problem?  Or are there other things to consider?

No Events found!