Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2013 09:00

Need a new network at budget cost!

Hello

This isn't a specific query about the DellPowerEdge, more of a general request for help!

We have a small office with six members of staff and are in need of a new network.  However we are struggling with the following three options:

a) Six PC's connected together with a unmanaged gigabit switch and NAS Drive

b) Six PC's plus server connected together with a unmanaged gigabit switch and NAS Drive

c) Six terminals connected using unmanaged gigabit switch via RDC to server and NAS Drive

Our main requirement is to use Quickbooks.  The concern is that options (a) and (b) will mean that Quickbooks will run at a snails pace.  I am led to believe that we had this configuration before and Quickbooks was virtually unusable.

The size of the Quickbooks data file is 400mb.

We are using Quickbooks Enterprise 13.

Thanks
Nick 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I would say so.  It depends on the NAS and the server in question, but if the budget is tight, skip the NAS and get a server.  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Would you have your data file on the NAS? or on the server?  Keep it on the server, get 15K SAS drives or SSD's in the server - even if small ones dedicated to running QB - and it will probably matter little how you access it, but accessing it by users remoting into the server would eliminate the network overhead for QB - using a data file of that size, you don't want to make it harder for QB than necessary.  Just my opinion.

So the server is a necessity?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

What NAS and/or server are you considering? or do you already have something?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Well, it depends on a lot of things:

How much storage space do you need?  You mentioned NAS, so I'm assuming that you have more data you want to store centrally besides just a QB data file.

What is your budget?

Are you comfortable managing Windows Servers?

You could get a basic server (T110 II) for less than $2000.

You could get a "good" server (for what it sounds like it would be used for), like a T320, with high-performance storage, for $3000-4000.

Looking for recommendations

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 16th, 2013 14:00

Keep it all on the server and RDP for access, 400 meg is a fairly large file for QB, you do not need a file that size crossing the network to open....

I have QB on a few terminal servers, RDP is plenty fast ( that is for QuickBooks) with a decent server.  

The issues with TS are you need a good bit of ram (8-12 gig min (opinion), a fast CPU, besides a reasonably fast disk subsystem. Raid 1 for safety, raid 10 for extra speed. You can't skimp on the CPU speed or the amount of ram. The disk subsystem affects the initial loading primarily in TS, with sufficient ram it basically runs in ram after that.

On the other side of the coin, I have a client with a T110, over a year old, a bare bones very basic server, 8 Gig ram, 500 Gig SATA drives in raid1 (approx. $ 1300.), running Win2008 R2, Terminal Server Gateway and Terminal server  with a small QB file for a couple users. Fast enough for them but could be better. This was purchased with everyone knowing it would not be super fast, though it runs QB faster then any wks at the client's office.

If you consider RDP, remember to figure in licensing costs

Security....

If it is just for internal use, terminal server is fine. If users will access QB / other programs from outside the network I highly advise setting up TSG for SSL security. TSG and TS can be on the same server  in a workgroup setup.

No Events found!