Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2013 13:00

No video at all on PE 2600??

Hello,

Before I begin, I'd just like to say that I have very little knowledge of servers so baby steps please :)

A couple of weeks ago work were having a clearout and I acquired an old PE 2600 with the hope of turning it into a small gaming server

It originally came with one 2.4GHz CPU but I bought a pair of 2GHz ones off ebay. With one of these in, it boots fine and I managed to install a fresh copy of server 2003 Datacenter on it. However, when I put the second one in, I get no video output at all (not even post) and no activity lights on the hard drives or any error lights at all that I can see?

The processors (should be) identical and the only difference I can see is that the VRMs look different. Would this cause the problem of having no video at all?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Adam

2 Posts

Yeah with normal PCs its chilled and I'd say I'm an advanced user - just never had many dealings with servers. Yeah, each processor with work with each VRM on its own which is leading me to my conclusion of a mismatch.

Adam

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"I have very little knowledge of servers so baby steps please"

How about computer hardware in general?

Do BOTH of the new processors work if installed by themselves?  If so, then the VRM's are each likely within the server's tolerance, but cannot regulate a common voltage when installed together.

No Events found!