Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 8th, 2016 00:00

PE R710 "missing fan" running ful speed

Hi,

On an R710 (single CPU installed) LCD screen show a "Fan 4 missing" error and iDrac6 repport fan 4 at 0 RPM while this fan is present and running full speed. i tried interchange fans without any change : fan 4 is allways missing whatever fan is plugged in socket 4 ( so the fan must be Ok)

i installed last bios and iDrac version, did a flea power drain... tested conectivity of fan socket pins on mother board... all looks OK

Of course, other fans are running speedier and the server is very noisy.

don't know if it's related but i also have an CMOS battery error ( bettery was changed and new one tested OK)

thanks in advance for any help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 8th, 2016 10:00

Hello.

Clear the system event logs and  reset  the iDRAC from within the web interface. Reboot the server if possible and monitor the LCD for Fan 4 error.

7 Posts

November 9th, 2016 15:00

cleared the idrac's logs and reseted it (both from web interface then hard reseteed wuth racdam command line)

>> still the same, fan 4 missing (and jet engine in the room Xp)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2016 08:00

Try remove and re-install the processor fan bracket with emphasis on re-seating associated cables and connectors. 

7 Posts

November 10th, 2016 11:00

allready tried, i almost disasemblyed all the server, controlled socket pin conductivity upon motherboard, controlled every voltage on pins... the only "weired one is a 2.70V on one pin of the "ghost fan" instead of 1.8-2V assuming for this it's going full speed ?

start thinking about a defective motherboard... unless the server run perfectly but very noisy

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2016 11:00

You might have to consider replacing the system board.

No Events found!