Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2007 02:00

PowerEdge 1955 Will Not Start In PowerEdge 1855 Enclosure

Hi,
After consulting with Dell the decision was made to purchase 6 1955 blades for our 1855 enclosure.
The technician I spoke with at Dell assured me that the Poeredge 1855/1955 are interchangable.
We recieved our new blades (PowerEdge) 1955's and I placed them in our PowerEdge 1855 enclosure. I attempted to power them up but they dont come on and flash amber at me.
Is there something in the BIOS that needs to be configured to allow the 1955's to power up in the 1855 enclosure.
Thank You for your help,................

13 Posts

July 6th, 2007 07:00

You need to update the firmware of the chassis enclosures. We had to do the same. A minimum of version 1.3. I think version 1.4 is out now though, so since you need to update, you may as well go to the latest version.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 08:00

You will need to upgrade the DRAC/CM to a higher version that what you currently have installed. (v1.3 or better)

Dell's got a real good flash video on this...

Instructions for DRACMC_A00v13.exe

Download
1. Click the Download Now link to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

Extract Files
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file to unzip the download package.
2. Specify the location to unzip the files.
3. Click on the unzip button to extract files.

NOTE: If your DRAC/MC firmware is running version 1.0, upgrade your firmware to version 1.1 or 1.1.1 before you upgrade to version 1.3. The DRAC/MC version 1.2 firmware update requires 4MB of flash memory, which is the amount of flash memory on the DRAC/MC card. Because the DRAC/MC version 1.0 boot code can only recognize 3MB of flash memory, the firmware update from version 1.0 to version 1.2 or to 1.3 will fail. The DRAC/MC firmware version 1.1.1 is available at the URL http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R100856

NOTE: The firmware update procedure requires that a TFTP server application is installed on your network. Dell recommends using the SolarWinds.Net TFTP Server application.

NOTE: After you upgrade the DRAC/MC firmware, delete the temporary Internet files from the client Web browser. If the Web browser contains cached HTML files from a previous firmware version, the browser may generate HTML or Javascript errors.

Using RAC GUI Firmware Update Interface:
1. Copy the binary file mgmt.bin to a TFTP server root directory.
2. Log on to the DRAC/MC web user interface using a supported internet browser.
3. From the DRAC/MC GUI main window, click the Update tab, this will display the Firmware Update screen.
4. On the Firmware Update screen, enter the TFTP address and the image name mgmt.bin.
5. Click Update Firmware.
6. The TFTP download and firmware update process may take several minutes. After the update completes, the RAC will reset.

Using RACADM Command line interface to Update Firmware:
1. Copy the binary file mgmt.bin to a TFTP server root directory. Dell recommends using TFTP by SolarWinds.
2. Log on to the DRAC/MC telnet or serial interface.
3. From the telnet/serial interface, issue the racadm fwupdate command, like "racadm fwupdate -a TFTP_IP_ADDRESS -d mgmt.bin"
4. The TFTP download and firmware update process may take several minutes. After the update completes, the RAC will reset.

Note: The standalone racadm utility (also known as remote racadm) is new to DRAC/MC firmware 1.3 so it cannot be used to upgrade from lower DRAC/MC firmware versions.

A few caveats…

1.       Set the laptop you’re going to use for 192.168.0.119 (the default IP in the DRAC/MC is: 192.168.0.120).

2.       The TFTP software I used was “FileZilla”

3.       The root of the TFTP Server is “C:\Filezilla”. (or whatever drive you’ve installed the program on) This is where you move/copy the mgmt.bin file to .

4.       Don’t forget to specifically use a “CROSSOVER CABLE”.

No Events found!