Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 11th, 2018 10:00

PowerEdge R620 SAS HDD

I have a PowerEdge R620 which has no hardrives. Today I installed 4 new SAS 148GB HDD, but the system didn't recognize the hardrives. It didn't even give me the option to press CRT+R to configure them in RAID. I also went to system settings and change the SATA configuration to ATA/ACHI but non of them worked. I was hoping if someone can assist me with this. Thanks

101 Posts

September 11th, 2018 12:00

What RAID card does this R620 have installed? I have seen some server that did not have either internal drives or RAID cards to match them as they booted from an external drive array.

Randy

16 Posts

September 12th, 2018 06:00

I'm not sure if this server has a RAID card. Where do I check this? Also if it doesn't can I set it up with the hardrives without using RAID configuration? 

101 Posts

September 12th, 2018 10:00

Your best option to see if it has a RAID card is to open the case and look. (A failed or loose card might not show up...) You can look in the Owners Manual to help identify which configuration of R620 you have as well as how to check for a RAID card and associated backplane cables. The R620 Owners Manual can be found here:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r620_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

I don't think the R620 has a way to work with internal hard drives if there is no RAID card unless you have the SAS/SATA and SSD version, and then it probably wouldn't support SAS drives (and only two at that). I know that 2nd hand RAID cards are easily available, but you might need SAS cables as well if your server shipped without a card.

Good luck.

101 Posts

September 18th, 2018 13:00

I believe that to be the case. Without a RAID card, there would be no connection from the backplane that the drives connect to into the system.

Randy

16 Posts

September 18th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for that information. I managed to open the server, but there was no RAID card. So without a RAID card for this server, are you saying I cannot use the SAS hard drives that I have?

16 Posts

October 8th, 2018 11:00

So I managed to installed a PERC H710 RAID card. The system detected it, but when I install the SAS hard drive in the slot I'm getting a message on the system's LCD panel Fault detected on Drive 0. I have 4 of these SAS hard drives (HP 146GB 10K SAS) and they're all giving me that message. Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm not sure why I'm getting those message. I just purchased these hard drives. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 8th, 2018 18:00

Did you connect the SAS cables from the PERC to the backplane (assuming your server has these... if not, you need those too).

16 Posts

October 8th, 2018 19:00

The server came with the SAS cable and it's connected to the backplane.

16 Posts

October 15th, 2018 07:00

Here is a setup of the system, not sure if i'm missing anything...thanks

20181009_14251.jpg

20181009_142545.jpg

1 Message

October 10th, 2020 15:00

@bisfrim I have the exact same setup. R620 with 4x146GB SAS HDDs, an H710 card, and still getting the same error. Last this was updated was 2 years ago, did you ever find a solution? 

Thank you kindly,

Ahren

• 

3.4K Posts

October 11th, 2020 19:00

Hi @ahren9,

What is the error that you're getting? The drives not detected or the drives are showing fault? Could you let me know the DPN# of the drives that you are installing? Also, could you let me know if the server's hardware firmware is all up to date?

Let me know more.

July 17th, 2023 05:00

Hi @DELL-Joey C  I have the same problem, I also have a Dell Poweredge R620 and a Dell PERC H710p 6G Mini Raid Controller. My setup looks like @bisfrim s. In my case I am using 300GB Dell (Enterprise Certified) SAS 6G hard drives. Is there any solution for this or can you (or someone else) help me in this case? In my case, the display shows an error "PDR1024" but I have not been able to fix it yet.

Thanks in advance
Philip

• 

3.7K Posts

July 17th, 2023 06:00

Hello Philip0403,

The error PDR1024 indicates Drive mismatch detected.

The installed disk does not meet the array requirements, for example a SATA disk may not operate in an array containing SAS drives.

Are the drives all the same SAS or SATA?  You cannot mix them in the same array.

Can you post picture of the drive labels showing the Dell Part number (DP/N) so I can check if they are Dell validated for the R620?

Also would I recommend make sure the iDRAC, BIOS and PERC H710p controller are up to date on their firmware.

R620 support:

Drivers and firmware:  https://dell.to/44MtxBZ

July 20th, 2023 04:00

Hello Charles,

thank you very much for your help, I have solved the problem myself in the meantime. In my case it was the SAS connection cable to the motherboard. Now everything works great, the SAS hard drives are recognized and work perfectly and my SATA hard drive works just as well (not in the same array but as a single hard drive).

Thanks a lot
Philip

No Events found!