Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 5th, 2020 23:00

PowerEdge R730 looping updates

Hi there,

I've some issues on my lab server (so no warranty/support anymore), which is a PowerEdge R730. It is not critical but it is annoying and if we find a solution or if several people have the same issue, it might help more...

So my server is configured to check daily updates directly on downloads.dell.com and install updates at each reboot. Its a lab, I like to have always the latest versions and this server is powered only when I need extra ressources.

Now the issues:

- Dell Remote Access Controller: version 2.75.75.75 is available and I already tried to install it, but the next day when it checks updates again, it detects 2.70.70.70 as a newer version and overwrite the other at the next reboot.

- IDSDM: it detects a newer version when my server is powered off, but when it boots, it can never install it as it might be the same (and I lose time as it goes through the Lifecycle). IDSDM reports N/A when the server is off and 1.11 when it's on. The detected file is the following: Firmware_4D1YH_WN64_1.11_A02_01.EXE

Any chance somebody knows a way to fix this ? Maybe there is some commands to reset updates "database" (if it exists) or something else.

In advance, many thanks for your help

Kind regards

• 

790 Posts

August 7th, 2020 05:00

Hi there,

I just checked back and due to the settings that you have chosen, it will always install the version where it thinks it's the latest. 
Due to the fact that your system is out of warranty, I do not have the possibility to escalate this to our product group - they just accept in warrant systems.

So we have two options here, one - you change the setting to manually apply the updates and not automatically. Or second - you tell me that this issue happens on a system, that is in warranty and hand me over the Service Tag of this system in a private note.

I wait for your decision

Cheers
Stefan

• 

4.1K Posts

August 6th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

“So my server is configured to check daily updates directly on https://dell.to/3ksf7kr and install updates at each reboot.”

could it be possible your system is grabbing the latest version automatically from Dell's online repositories? Then please check the link here.

https://dell.to/3ijLbFg

Also after all the updates, cold power cycle is recommended with no power source connected.

Hope this helps!

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 7th, 2020 02:00

"could it be possible your system is grabbing the latest version automatically from Dell's online repositories?"

Yes, that's what I want

So today I've tested the following: I've reinstalled DRAC 2.75.75.75 manually, removed both power cords (waited a bit too) and restarted the server. Today, when the schedule auf automatic updates occured, it reverted DRAC to 2.70.70.70.

It is like it detects 2.70.70.70 as newer compared to 2.75.75.75. Don't know if Dell repository is bugged or if it comes fron DRAC itself.

Any clue ?

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 7th, 2020 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Stefan, even if it doesn't help me, I appreciate the speed and the professionalism!

I just checked back and due to the settings that you have chosen, it will always install the version where it thinks it's the latest. , I though the system would be smarter ! 

I have not the possibility to give you a tag with warranty, this is a system that I "brought back to life" with several parts coming from my previous employer. It is perfect for a lab and I can accept this will not work perfectly.

A stated above, it is only annoying, but not critical. It will be fixed eventually but I wanted to give somebody the awareness (so that the Dell repository might have some versioning issues)

Thanks again, take care 

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

August 11th, 2020 03:00

Hi there,

Don't know if you did something about it internally, but today it installed 2.75.75.75 automatically, meaning the repository was "corrected"...

Thanks ! 

No Events found!