Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2014 06:00

PowerEdge R815 Graphics Upgrade

I currently purchased a PowerEdge R815 to do processing of aerial imagery. I needed all the cores and disk space I could get! I overlooked the requirement to have OpenCL available. I should mention I am using the machine remotely. How can I upgrade this machines graphics capabilities? I have a Radeon 630 card but it does not seem to be working properly, even when I disable the integrated card. Some forums mention a Tesla card, would a Tesla card work in this server? Some forums mention disabling the DRAC, how would I go about doing that? Other ideas?

• 

8.8K Posts

May 27th, 2014 07:00

XC001,

Currently it isn't supported to install a 3rd party graphics card for the purpose of replacing the embedded video. On some of the newer 12th generation servers they are supported for processing speed, but not for video uses. 

That being said. That doesn't mean that their isn't a card that will work. They just aren't tested by Dell. So we won't be able to provide an answer on a card.Also a note, when you disable the embedded video via the BIOS, the drac will no longer be accessible. As the Drac ties to the embedded video. 

2 Posts

May 27th, 2014 08:00

I appreciate the response. The DRAC part was helpful. I can understand there isn't a card supported at this point, that's expected since it wasn't offered. At this point any direction would be helpful in locating cards to try. What has had the best luck in the past? This is only a PCIe x8 slot so no x16's are an option although they are most prevalent. I'd prefer to support two monitors with OpenCL so the software can work.

1 Message

October 6th, 2018 11:00

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/710-2-SL/

Nvidia Asus 720 GT card works! It fits in the horizontal riser. You disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS and it works.

No Events found!