Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2016 05:00

PowerEdge T20 manual says to use a 9.5mm (slim) optical drive but it's too small

Seemed like a no-brainer to install an optical drive in my new PowerEdge T20 but, no.

The manual says:

NOTE: Only slim 9.5 mm SATA DVD-ROM drive or DVD+/-RW drive can be installed in your system. External optical drives can be connected through USB ports.

Trouble is, the manual's wrong, I think. A 9.5mm high drive is too small (not tall enough).

Or am I missing something totally obvious?

TIA

Bob Crabtree

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 4th, 2016 14:00

Hello.

You seem correct. All the information I have looked up indicates that the DVD, SATA  Assembly is of the  height 12.7 mm and not 9.5 mm. I am going to bring this discrepancy to the attention of a concerned team to have the user manuals corrected.

Thank you

February 5th, 2016 03:00

Thanks for the speedy response - massively appreciated. Be good if they'd refund me the £15.58 that I paid for the wrong model - a Samsung SU-208HB/BEBE Ultra Slim Internal, 9.5mm (receipt available) but I'm not holding my breath. Cheers Bob Crabtree

February 5th, 2016 13:00

Don't worry about the refund - just realised I had a little-used ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T that requires one of these 9.5mm opticals, so have popped in the SU-208HB/BEBE and await the arrival of a couple of StarTech's Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter with Power, plus an InLine - Floppy to SATA Power Adaptors. One of the StarTech adapters is for the HP (as is the InLine - Floppy to SATA Power Adaptor) and one is for my Dell T20, for which I've now bought (and put in place) a 12.7 mm Samsung SN-208FB/BEBE. Bob

No Events found!