Unsolved

M

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 05:00

Poweredge R310 memory upgrade

I Need some help

i have a poweredge R310  service tag   with a celeron processor

It has 4 GB of Ram, part number M391B5773CH0-YH9

I bought 4x8GB ram modules part number M392B1K73CM0-YF8 in order to upgrade.

After installing the new memory the server will not boot, just a black screen. If i take out the new memory and install the old one everything is back to normal

Can somebody shed some light into this???

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

June 23rd, 2020 10:00

I can say that the part number is unsupported (I looked at all the supported 8GB DIMMs for the server), but the reason it isn't completing POST may be something else. I had unsupported DIMMs in my R710 and it was a non-issue. I looked at the specs of the DIMM you purchased and a similar supported Samsung DIMM, but nothing leapt out at me for a cause.

As a point of clarification, when you say you're upgrading, are you adding to the current memory sum or replacing it entirely? It sounds like replacement, but I don't want to mistakenly assume.

In addition, can you share your BIOS and BMC/iDRAC firmware versions? 

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 11:00

I am replacing everything, but like i said black screen and not booting up.

Also there is some small plastic device in front of the server with a blue light, after installing the new memory the light did not turn blue, it was blinking in an orange color.

Bios version 1.10.1

• 

3.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2020 19:00

Hello,

Do you have any other processor to try on the server? What Celeron processor do you have there in the server? 

Can you update the BIOS to the latest?

Have you tried just install 1 memory into slot 1 and try booting?

7 Posts

June 24th, 2020 05:00

by the way i just updated to the latest bios version 1.14.0

7 Posts

June 24th, 2020 05:00

i installed two strips of memory, i did not try with only one

how do i know which processor do i have?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

June 24th, 2020 07:00

Provided the processor hasn't changed since build, this should be the one. I hadn't brought it up because the page indicates that ECC memory is supported.

My guess at the moment is that the problem is that the old memory were UDIMM models and the new ones are RDIMM models. Basically, one is buffered and the other is not. This is the only difference I'm seeing and I don't *THINK* Celerons will support RDIMMs, but I'm still looking.

https://dell.to/37ZuB9n

As for confirming it, the best way to do so would be to either install the old memory and see what the BIOS reports, or to remove the proc and heatsink. The CPU's IHS should have the proc model printed on  it, though you'll need to clean off and reapply thermal paste.

Regarding the amber LED, I would recommend referencing it against the manual to try to discern what it's attempting to communicate. If you'd rather share a picture of what you're looking at, that'll work, too. 

7 Posts

June 24th, 2020 12:00

well, the amber led after a while turns blue, but the number 1 stays lit, meaning is not detecting the memory modules. I am returning the registered strips and buying unregistered, i read somewhere if you use udimms the maximum amount allowed is 16 GB.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

June 24th, 2020 13:00

I tried pulling the datasheet from Intel's page, but it doesn't look like they're hosting it anymore. I did see some third party documentation indicating that the G1101 wouldn't support RDIMMs, but I'd take that with a grain of salt considering I couldn't find that from Intel. I do believe that's the issue, so hopefully this resolves it for you. I'll keep an eye on the thread, in case you run into any follow on issues with the other DIMMs you're ordering. As to the memory ceiling - Intel's page did indicate a limit just over 16GB. 

I previously had an R710 that I'd upgraded. I haven't shopped procs in a long while, but I suspect you could upgrade that at a pretty low cost. Might be worth consideration, depending on what you need the server to do.

7 Posts

June 25th, 2020 12:00

thank you for your help

i ended up returning the registered memory, and order 4 strips of 4GB each for a total of 16GB, i dont want to risk it. Will advise when they arrive and do the installation

thank you.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

June 25th, 2020 13:00

I'll keep my eye on the thread. You're also welcome to PM me, if you like. Regardless, hopefully this takes care of it for you.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2020 12:00

Well, the server booted up with the new udimms

bought 4 strips of 4GB each, i only managed to install 3 strips, i get an error saying the memory configuration is not optimal, but it lets me boot and windows does recognizes the 12 GB of ram

if i try to install the last 4 GB memory strip, is not booting up. 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

July 1st, 2020 15:00

That's odd. Do you happen to have a link to the memory you purchased? At this point, we know we have the right type of DIMM and a supported quantity of memory. You might consider testing each DIMM independently. This would confirm each of the DIMMs as good (I suspect they're fine), but could potentially indicate an issue with one of the memory slots on the board.

No Events found!