Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 4th, 2015 07:00

Poweredge R710 USB 3.0 pcie card boot drive

Is it at all possible to boot the R710 from a pcie USB 3.0 card to have that as the boot up drive? And if thats possible which riser does it need to be installed in? Riser 1 or riser 2?

Reason for me asking is because i want all 6 3.5" drives dedicated to storage RAID only and have the boot OS on something else other than the 6 drives.

I know the R710 comes with a dedicated USB socket but that's 2.0 so that's too slow for my liking.

Well i have the usb pcie board in the pcie slot and it seems to see it but windows can not see it as a drive? It sees the normal USB 2.0 drive on the motherboard so that i can boot windows installation off of but it doesnt seem to have the option to choose the USB 3.0 as a "hard drive" emulation.

The above image shows "Removable Disk (C:)" which IS the USB 3.0 drive but it only shows up within looking for the "load drivers" part so thats not really helpful....But at least i know it sees it.

The USB 2.0 FD is the other usb stick i have in the motherboard usb 2.0 slot to install windows from.

So... what could i be doing incorrectly?

18 Posts

August 10th, 2015 08:00

Still awaiting an answer please...

No Events found!